Saturday, September 25, 2021

Honeybee in the Chicory--Work for the Winter Cometh

 One morning a couple weeks ago, I discovered honeybees already busy first thing in the morning.

They were buzzing from one blue chicory flower to another by our wood pile!
We never used to have chicory around here, but the last couple years, blue chicory has been coming up several different places around our little acreage!
God must have known how much I miss those beautiful blue flowers from Pennsylvania!
So He planted some around here just for me!


How busy those bees were, collecting pollen and nectar for the upcoming winter!
My daughter tells me that the worker bees only live about three weeks.
They literally work themselves to death.
You can see the balls of white pollen on the legs of the bee in the picture above.
It is busy working, for the night is coming, the winter is coming.
Death is coming.
And judgment is coming. 
There is a prayer in the Bible that asks God to "teach us to number our days, that we may seek a heart of wisdom."
All day long we are busy. We work, we pray, we write, we study, we help others, we serve God, we watch and pray and are sober and keep on serving.
Because our days are numbered. Our opportunities are numbered.
We must work while we have opportunity.
Sometimes I am tempted to throw up my hands and say, "What's the use? Time is short. The world is going to pot! We may as well give up now!"
But that is not the spirit. 
As long as we are able, we must do good, evangelize, witness, help others, write, reach out, pray, believe God, and keep serving Jesus. 
Just keep on with our humble little tasks each day, sweeping, sewing, mopping, straining milk, cooking, cleaning, washing the curtains, repairing screens and going bear hunting. 
Always looking for opportunities to do good or to share the gospel--
like I had an opportunity last week.
A wonderful opportunity to share with a young mother who was full of questions about what to believe and how to raise her children right. She wanted a mentor, and we visited for about an hour and a half and just discussed what the Bible says about it all. 
I didn't want to just share my views, but to share what God says in His Word.
That is what is important.
And all at the same time that we must stay faithful and busy to work while the night is coming, we also have to remember that we can only do so much. The rest simply has to be left with God. 

Today Sam attended a town hall meeting where he learned of issues at our public library system which we need to write about to the county commissioners, who appoint the library board members. Tomorrow we plan to be part of a peaceful protest/demonstration regarding our losses of liberty. And today I also prayed over one set of prayer needs after another, 

the EFM weekly prayer list,

the whole newsletter full of prayer needs from Jews for Jesus, 

and others. 

The burdens are simply too heavy for me. I can work myself to death and not even touch all the needs. And that is where we must remember that God said to cast our cares on Him, for He cares for us. 

We must and ought to pray, but we also must and ought to cast the cares of those needs on the Lord, Who is the One to carry them and minister to them. 

Then with a light heart we may go about our day, because HE is carrying our cares.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...