Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Crystal and Timmy--the Away Children

Crystal talked to me on the phone last Saturday and then sent me this photo of her later.
Am I just biased or is she really just as beautiful as I thought she was? 
And then she sent me a picture of a couple cousins with her, but I hope it is okay that I kept looking at my own sweet daughter! 
She had a few days off of school for sickness and then for snow days, and was up with her relatives over the weekend.
And then I got a phone call this morning from our Timmy who is now in Bible College, but who, in the photo above, was only 11 years old. 
I guess I actually taught him some piano lessons so he would know a little about reading music.
He took Elements of Music I last semester at Penn View and enjoyed it, even if he did have to get up in front of his class and direct a song a time or two! 
Now Timmy is pleased to be taking guitar lessons this semester under Jeffrey Anderson, who used to be the bass singer in the Penn View quartet, and is now on staff at Penn View and one of the song leaders at Beavertown Church. 
Timmy also told me that since Blake Cassady, who used to be freshman class president, stepped down due to being so busy with PR work now, Ryan Hoffman was voted in as class president for this semester, and Timmy was voted in as vice-president.  
Our country boy says he had no idea how to be president!
He's learning a lot. He's loving speech class, where he has already had to get up in front of class and have three speeches--an introduction to himself, a personal experience, and a pet peeve. He chose to talk about rain in winter for his pet peeve!
Since this particular speech did not have time limits, other students were going on and on for 8 to 10 minutes, and all 16 or however many students had to give their speeches in a one hour and twenty minute class! So Timmy got up and talked for just two minutes! 
"I didn't really have a lot to say, anyway!" he admitted.
I guess others did indeed have a lot to say.
But I'm thankful Timmy could decide to keep his pet peeve short. 
It is good to keep our pet peeves under control--to minimize their significance in our lives,
and to focus on positive things.  
Timmy also is loving his Gospels II class taught by Stefan Paulus. 
This week his assignment is to write a 2-page paper about what the gospel is.
He was discovering that putting into words what the gospel is, something that ought to be rather simple, was not something he felt confident about, and he was happy to be learning to do just that.


Timmy also has to prepare a 30-35 minute presentation with a power point for World Religions class under Michael Mason about a major world religion. For whatever reason, Timmy ended up with the choice of Taoism, a religion he knows nothing about! 
If any of my blog readers have had any friends or acquaintances who were Taoist, or who have any stories to relate having to do with Taoism, let me know!
It was just great hearing Timmy's eager and happy voice again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...