Sunday, February 27, 2022

No Greater Love--and He Blew Himself Up

"Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend,"
Jesus said.
It is the ultimate love, the ultimate sacrifice. 
It's what Jesus did.
 And it's what a young Ukrainian man did just a couple days ago as the R u s s i a n army was advancing toward a bridge to come and take over another section of Ukraine.
This young man was the one to set up the explosives, and the last his comrades heard from him was that it was too late to escape himself. He said he was going to detonate.
And he did. 
He gave up his life for his friends, his country, his cause. 
He was quickly dubbed a hero. 

Back in Amish country where I spent several years of my life, and where my son Tim is living right now while attending Penn View Bible Institute, the Amish and Mennonites are taught not to take part in war. 
Not to take up arms.
To be non-resistant. 
What this Ukrainian young man did was probably not something the non-resistant folk would consider heroism.
I respect their views, but I also respect this young man's courage. 
It made a difference. 
I don't know if this young man had a moment to cry out to God at the end of his life. 
I hope he did.
I hope he didn't go to his death cursing and swearing like so many soldiers in today's armies.
Alone.  
I hope somewhere in his life He had heard about the One Who gave Himself up to the cross,
Who chose to die even when He could have called ten thousand angels to deliver Him from the whole rotten mess. 
We want to hope that God will deliver Ukraine, and save the innocent and the believers, 
but Jesus went to the cross even when His disciples didn't think He should.
He died even when they wanted Him instead to become King.
Lord, Your great love led You to the cross.
If Your love leads us to a cross, too, help us to carry it bravely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...