Friday, October 24, 2025

Pumpkins and Punkins

It's the time of year for pumpkins, elk hunting, and autumn winds! Right at this moment on Sunday afternoon, the electricity has been blinking off and on, as it has countless times in the last hour. I never experienced anything like it--apparently wind whipping lines into each other and shorting electricity. 
It was a delight to see our baby granddaughter getting all ready to go elk hunting with her mom and dad! Rose was given this matching set of hunter orange cap and booties at the baby shower at her church.
And here's to being limber enough to suck one's own toes!
I'm always delighted to see pictures of the children visiting their grandparents--this happened Tuesday when Carrie, Rose, Tom, Ellie, Sam, Caitlyn, and even Hannah who is there now, went to visit and have supper together.  
I think often of the Scripture that commands us to honor our father and mother--and that includes our grandfathers and grandmothers. I encourage my children to invite the grands and to stop in and see them as often as possible.  We hope to go down in a few weeks to see Daddy Lucas and Ruth, too, now that I am able to travel a little more.
Friday I spent hours cooking up three pumpkins grown in our own garden, and then blending the pulp in our blender and freezing the pumpkin. Yesterday I added a pint of pumpkin to my roll/bread recipe which always turns out so nice and golden, and I made two pumpkin raisin cakes for Sunday's meals. 
Eight extra native folk arrived for church today--and with four church ladies gone to a women's retreat in Montana, the cooking was up to Sally and Crystal and me. We were glad for everything we took--including part of a ham that Jonathan smoked yesterday from a pig we helped butcher last winter, garden veggies, and rolls and pumpkin cake. 
We are reading that natives are worried about whether their SNAP benefits are going to come to them as usual in November or not, what with the government shutdown. So we are bracing for lots of extra natives showing up at church just to get something to eat afterward. 
God can use this situation to turn hearts toward Him, but we will need wisdom. We will not be able to fix everyone's situation. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...