Here's another post from Christy Fitzwater:
"A few nights ago, my daughter introduced me to a blog that is created by a mom and photographer. Her site is so beautiful that I could not stop looking at it. I finally closed the computer and burst into tears.
My whole family turned and look at me. (I must say they were unfazed
by my passionate outburst, as this is a regular occurrence.)
I said, I wish I were a photographer! I wish my website was full of pretty pictures I’ve taken of my family.
Blog envy.
They said some kind things about how I just need a more expensive
camera, but I know better. Photography is an art, and I do not have this
gift. I don’t even want to be a photographer, but I want pretty
pictures.
I’m ridiculous.
Later Matt tucked me into bed (isn’t he wonderful), and there I was
crying about pictures again. He cupped my face in his hands and said, You make pictures with your words. That made me cry harder, the poor man…
This episode makes me think of an article I read recently in Decision Magazine about George Beverly Shea. Did you know these facts:
- When Bev Shea first joined Billy Graham for evangelistic events, it was Bev who was the draw, and Billy Graham’s name was in tiny letters at the bottom of the flyer.
- Billy Graham can’t hold a tune.
- When Billy first asked Bev to join him, Bev anxiously asked if he would have to do any speaking.
As far as I know, no one has ever mourned the fact that Billy Graham can’t sing.
And no one has ever mourned the fact that Bev Shea only wrote hymns and was not a master of public speaking.
So here I find comfort in the fact that the world does not need me to
be amazing at everything, just passionate and invested in my little
corner of giftedness. I shall never be a great photographer. Will you
still read my blog even with its borrowed images? I’ll try to write
lovely pictures for you with words, and I’ll thank the Lord for Jen Photography who has littered my website with her camera art, including the above picture of me.
And I don’t need you to be amazing at that thing you wish ever so much you were amazing at. Just be extremely you, and I think maybe that will light up the world more than you could know.
“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” (Psalm 139:14 NIV)
http://www.christyfitzwater.com/spiritual-gifts/we-dont-need-you-to-be-someone-else/
No comments:
Post a Comment