Friday, November 10, 2017

Blue Sky Path--and Hold to God's Unchanging Hand

When we were up at the cabin a week and a half ago, the children and I hiked a trail called Blue Sky Path. At this point in the trail, it is easy to see where it got its name!
There was a lot of beetle kill in the mountains, and we assume that some of the logging here was on account of the dead trees. The cut down logs were piled in teepee shapes.
Seems every trail we explore has its own points of interest.

As part of that week's science lesson, we tried to identify between pines, spruces and firs.
Many of the trees were, of course, lodge pole pines, so straight and tall.
It was hard for us to tell the difference between spruces and firs.
The younger children love to climb any boulders near the path!
They also love to explore by bridges and streams.
The children had fun while I talked on the phone with an acquaintance who was going through a hard time.
Danny retrieved this enormous icicle from under a fallen log by the stream.
Also while at the cabin with Jonathan on the job the second trip up, I took some projects including
sorting through old photos and mementos.

Here was an enlarged photo of the log house Jonathan and I built in Ukraine for our family.
At the time, there were people who questioned why we built such a large house--
but the main reason was that it was the simplest style we could find in the whole book of log home styles, without drawing all the plans ourselves. The lumber was extremely cheap at that time, and the house only cost about $20,000.
We said goodbye to that house shortly after it was finished.
That is baby Crystal in the picture, and I was expecting baby Sam. Little did the questioner know that seven children altogether would be in the family. The house was not too big for that!
(Lump in throat.) 
I found these graduation announcements from Jonathan's high school class of 1985.
The theme: "Holding God's Unchanging Hand."
Those were among the mementos I could not throw away.
There is a big lump in my throat.
As we've held that Great Hand, it has remained unchanging. 
So many other things have changed, but God has never changed, and He will continue to be there for us.
Photo after photo, I realized how many projects our family has done, how many trips we've taken, how many sights we've seen, how many fun times we've had (and hard times, but somehow the joys stand out as I look at the pictures). How full our life has been, right up through the present moment--as I just this afternoon sent another article to Arms Around the World newsletter as Bro. Steve Sturtevant had asked for one.
There were three Mission-related trips to South Dakota to write about.
We've been blessed with more and more new friends in the last few months, from South Dakota to Nebraska to right nearby.
The children were having a fabulous time this afternoon after school, with several other home school families and a neighbor boy, playing football and Capture the Flag that will count for Phys Ed.
 We've been thankful over and over for God's protecting, unchanging hand, even on days like today when we get the news that Jonathan sideswiped another vehicle when both vehicles moved into the same lane from two different directions. .
Gratefully, it wasn't serious, and the other vehicle only sustained a dent in the door. 
Lord, You have been our Dwelling Place in all generations.
You have been our Miracle Worker, our Comforter, our Guide, our Savior, our Friend
whenever we needed Someone to lean on.
In this Thanksgiving season, whether we are walking a Blue Sky Path or a path covered with clouds and fog, help us to continue to hold to Your unchanging Hand!
"Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and forever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...