Saturday, November 4, 2017

Popcorn Happiness!

One song after another keeps coming to me lately, and I'm thankful!
The last couple days it's been, the children's chorus with "popcorn cheerfulness."
It was such a blessing to spend a few days where it was less hectic for me, and I could take time 
to even make several batches of popcorn!
Popcorn drizzled with melted butter and lots of salt!
Last night I made some and poured it into in a Safeway bag (for lack of ziploc bags!) to eat on the way home.
I also made enough to share with the HVAC guy who Jonathan had up at the cabin working all day
installing new duct work and stovepipe, etc.
For lack of a ziploc bag, I washed and dried the bag for the grapes, and we gave him buttery, salted popcorn in it to keep him awake, too. 
This man had arrived in time for breakfast, and enjoyed the scrambled eggs, herbed goat cheese and toasted bagel I fixed. 
"It's been a long time since I've had goat cheese," he told us appreciatively.
He is originally from an east Asian country.
At the lunch table, he appreciated the bowl of leftover chili with slices of melted sub sandwich that I had gotten at Safeway half off the day before.
He said his son-in-law always throws leftovers away, but he thinks leftovers are better leftover!
He told us about his lonely life, that his already divorced daughter no longer has anything to do with him now that she is grown up.
He himself is divorced, too.  He is awake till 1 o'clock at night and wakes up again at 5 a.m. It's difficult to sleep, and he said he doesn't eat all day.
We sat there with homemade cherry pie and boughten $6.99 doughnuts marked down to 99 cents staring us in the face.
Jonathan and I had met in the kitchen more than once that day and shared a kiss. 
I had told Jonathan how I loved being with him and watching him work!
And his kisses and warm hugs for me were full of love.
We had gathered around the table to eat, and Jonathan had asked the blessing.
"Thank you!" was the gruffly appreciative murmur from the man from east Asia.
We ate supper together, too.
It wasn't much. I had just toasted slices of the second sub sandwich but the smell went all the way through the hole in the ceiling to the rooftop where Jonathan and the HVAC man were working on the chimney pipe.
They nearly went bonkers they said, smelling this delicious smell!
 Boy, were they surprised to find out it was just sub sandwich slices toasted in a skillet in butter!
They were expecting something more majestic, though they had no idea what it was!
We had thought we might be on our way home by supper time, so I just had the sub to eat.
But toasted it was delightful and warm!
The men had fought with ductwork in dark, dismal, high and narrow spaces all day,
and the man's language had been a bit peppery.
But a text came to Jonathan's phone about 8:30 when we were on our way home:
"Thank your wife for breakfast, lunch, and supper,
and for this wonderful popcorn!"
We hadn't preached the gospel that day in words, just in warm food and kindness and popcorn!
We hadn't been foreign "missionaries," just family.
We had just shared life with a man from a foreign country, shared laughter and warm leftover chili and toasted marked down sub sandwiches.
Shared love and warmth and work and and salty, buttery popcorn.
And he was grateful.
Thank You, Lord, for "popcorn cheerfulness" enough to spread around to people who need not only warm food and love, but You!
Thank You for Gospel Popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...