Wednesday, November 15, 2017

When God Gives You Liver 'n' Onions and Purple Potatoes

What do you do when "Give us this day our daily bread" results in liver and purple potatoes?
I didn't even know purple potatoes existed until a few years ago!
But this year, Rose raised some various colored potatoes inside tires, including purple potatoes.
They looked very strange, but it was great fun cooking them whole!
I scrubbed a bunch of those wee white, red, and purple potatoes last night and cooked them whole for supper along with "poor man's steak."
Actually, those potatoes were delicious, and this below is Danny's serving. Hannah forgot there were a few more people to eat potatoes, and pulled out about half the purple potatoes herself.
So no problem getting my kiddos to eat purple potatoes--we had to stand up for our rights to have at least one purple potato apiece!
Tonight, I made liver and onions.
Now I don't know about you, but I'll be honest with you.
Liver 'n' onions is not exactly my favorite food to eat.
Liver 'n' onions and purple potatoes have never been on my favorite menus. 
But that doesn't mean I haven't eaten them, especially when we raised the liver ourselves or harvested it from an elk in the mountains of Colorado! It was elk liver tonight.
You just don't waste that good meat.
You eat the liver and the purple potatoes and the peas and carrots like a good little girl.
But I'll tell you a secret.
When I make liver 'n' onions for supper, I always make a nice dessert.
This evening, Rose and Hannah made gingerbreads while I cooked supper. 
Gingerbread is one of my favorite desserts, complete with iron-rich blackstrap molasses and honey and half rye flour.  I LOVE anything with molasses!
So there we were with our plates of liver, rice, and corn--topped off with gingerbread and icecream!
Sometimes I think God serves us liver 'n' onions on our plates, and even purple potatoes.
And He, like a wise father who is interested in the health and growth of His children, 
expects us to eat it.
Liver, tomatoes, peas, asparagus, avocado, squash, onions, purple potatoes, and humble pies.
Boy, we never know what new meat or vegetable He'll put on our plate and just say,
"Now, you need to eat that. It's for your good."
 But like an understanding mother who knows that some things are just pretty hard to gag down,
doesn't our heavenly Father permit us a few gingerbreads to encourage us after eating our vegetables?

If we then, "being evil, know how to give good gifts" unto our children, "how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?"
How much more will He give the best gift--better than gingerbread!
So for this, for our vegetables and liver and humble pies,
and for every lip-smacking gingerbread,
and, Father in heaven, for the precious gift of Your Holy Spirit,
we give thanks, with a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Garden Delights--A Cheerful Reality

  Working in the garden and enjoying its harvest is not just an escape from reality--it is, in fact, a cheerful part of the reality of life....