Thursday, April 16, 2020

A Mother's Midnight Meditation

A few nights ago as I was in bed, I discovered my hands folded together in prayer, 
without thinking about it, as I would turn my anxious heart to the Lord.
"I live my prayers to You," my heart whispered,
and just like that, I felt like a poem was being inspired. I got up and typed this poem before going back to bed.

     I Live My Prayers to You--A Mother’s Meditation

Dear God, when morning wakes my eyes
   I lift my heart to you,
Before I greet the bright sunrise
   I fly beyond the blue,

I meet You in the morning,
   Before my tea is hot,
And when my duties press me,
    I find a quiet spot,

Just to stand and savor
   A moment still with You
Before my many duties
   Keep me all day through.
  
I pray while washing dishes
   While cooking at the stove,
While looking out the window,
    While hanging up the clothes.
I pray for my own husband,
   For all my children dear,
I pray sometimes without a word,
  Knowing my God does hear. 

I pray when crises happen,
   When tragic news arrives.
I pray when sorrows deep and sore
   Are crushing others’ lives.

I pray when pain becomes my guest,
   When disappointments crush.
I pray when I must patient be,
   And when I’m in a rush.
I pray each day if possible
   Down that day’s list of names,
Praying for Your help that day
   To make Your will their aim.
And when I go to bed at night,
   My hands still pray for me,
I find them folded in the dark,
   For God the Lord to see.

They raise a silent, constant prayer,
  As I close my eyes to sleep.
That God would watch us day and night,
   That He our souls would keep.
Tomorrow I will pray again,
   Not just a prayer or two.
But with my pots and pans and broom,
   I live my prayers to You.







2 comments:

  1. A poem-prayer that resonates with others of us, and especially with God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot!! I love when prayers come to me like this...esp. When they rhyme!! 😉 Good job!💗

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...