Today I helped Hannah sew her own mask!
With the different stories we are hearing about people not allowed into this or that store without a mask, we figured we ought to have one on hand for each of us.
It was a mask with kitties on it. She was quite pleased with herself for sewing it all by herself, and it only took her about half an hour, for we had already cut the pieces out a week ago.
Carrie found this pattern online and has been sewing quite a few to sell to friends or on Etsy or on Craig's List. Today she and Rose sewed ten masks to donate to friends who have a relative in California who works in the medical field and has no masks. Our friends will send the ten masks on.

As for me, I like to be creative. If I have to wear a mask, at least I'd like it to be a pretty one and not a white or light blue one that looks like it belongs in a hospital!
I had a basket of quilting strips that I had gotten long ago for a few dollars at an estate sale, and
I decided to see what it would be like to turn about four strips into the sections for a mask.

So I sewed four strips together and then used other mask parts for a pattern.
Here's how some of them turned out. I still need to add the seam to the lower one for the elastic around the ears.
While I was in the middle of that this afternoon, I decided to start another project for an upcoming birthday--a clothespin apron, also made from quilting strips.
I don't know why I enjoy projects made from quilting scraps so much.
Perhaps it's how the colors and designs go together--
like a family--
each a separate and unique individual, yet all connected and one family.
Like a church, also unique and separate individuals, yet connected as a family,
and feeling kind of torn apart in a situation like this current epidemic.
It's hard when you've been "knit together in love" to have to worship apart,
yet the love is still there, and the worship is still there.
So anyway, Carrie got a lot of orders right off the bat, so many that she had to take her ad off Etsy for a while! Rose and she spend hours making masks.
Here are three of them.

Rose snipping the inside, curved seam.
I made these two kitty masks for our pastor's girls.
And these two others for Pastor Christian and Holly.
Oops, I think the photo is upside down!











No comments:
Post a Comment