Tuesday, August 24, 2021

When All You Can Do Is Look Up

Yesterday on my way to the mailbox, I thought about Jesus telling about the things that were to come in the end times, and telling us, "When ye see these things about to come to pass, then look up, for your redemption draweth nigh!"
And right there, on my way to the mailbox, I was looking up--up beyond the blue Colorado sky,
to God, from Whom comes our redemption.
Today I learned about Afghani Christians martyred yesterday by the T-ban. 
Should I have been burdened more for them yesterday than I was?
But why?
Their redemption had drawn nigh!
Who knows? While I was standing there looking up, perhaps the heavens opened in that moment for praying, singing believers. 
Why should I wonder about looking up instead of down?
It is precisely what Jesus said to do.
So I look up. 
Today we learned from Jonathan's parents that Jonathan's former boss, Steve Speidel, went to be with the Lord. Jonathan had driven by Steve's house today--and prayed that the Lord would be kind to him and take him quickly, before Steve had to suffer more. 
And the Lord granted that petition. 
Hours later, Steve was taken gently away.
So although we mourn with the family in their loss, we also look up.
We look up, because Steve's redemption drew near, and he is forever gone from this world of sorrow and care. 
As for me, it is easy to look behind.
I have regrets and so many things I wish I could do over. So many places where I just stumbled and fumbled through, where I spoke before I thought, or acted out of place. 
My heart aches where I wish I could fix some things, but I can't. 
I just can't.
I tried, and every time I tried, it got worse. I live with those regrets on a regular basis.
I don't deserve the least of God's mercies.

 But He said, when bad things happen, look up. When you are between a rock and a hard place, there is only one thing to do. Look up! He didn't say to look behind us, or to look around us. He said to look up! So in the middle of my heartaches about the mistakes and sins and uncertainties of the past, in the middle of the concern for my suffering brothers and sisters around the world who are awaiting their martyrdom,  I do what He said to do.

Out under the blue sky of Colorado, I look up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...