My little grand niece Kari, Elon's granddaughter, is the brightest, sweetest, happiest, bounciest little girl I've seen in a long, long time!
Someone saw her giving her Great-grandpa a hug before he had to leave Elon's place and took a picture of it! Loving little Kari cheered more than one person that day!

My dad had surgery Monday to repair a fistula and a chest port for his dialysis treatments, coming home in a lot of pain. Only one person was allowed in with him, and that had to be my brother who drove the two plus hours to the hospital with him on that hot day.My brother could not take care of everybody that day. Just one.
But he took care of one person.

Some opportunities land in our lap. Others are far away. We can't help them all.
I read a flyer that came in the mail today from Christian Aid Ministries about their new ministry specified for widows, especially widows in India who are rejected as soon as they become widows, and who are often blamed for their husband's deaths.
I was touched with the stories, and prayed for them.
I cannot relieve the afflictions of all those millions of widows in India, Eastern Europe, Africa and so many other places, but I can sit with someone who is tied down to home because of an invalid daughter. I can make puzzles with her on a Sunday afternoon, just to spend some happy time with her.
I can't relieve all the widows who are blamed for their husbands' deaths, but I can refrain from blaming someone close to me for how they are dealing with their medical issues or their dying relatives. Dealing with those issues is hard enough without blame. I have a relative and also a friend both who were basically blamed for killing their loved one, even though they and others helping them were carefully and lovingly following hospice's protocol in the final days of life. Blame is a heavy burden to carry.
And I can spend the day with my mother, who is not a widow yet, but who was anxious and worried about my dad while he was at the hospital having the repair surgery. I can include her in my day of canning pickles. I can bring a chair for her so she can sit and watch me picking cucumbers out of Joella's garden. Joella's family was gone for the weekend and had cucumbers coming out their ears, and said I could have all I could pick that weekend. They couldn't provide garden produce for all those widows over there in India, but they could share with a sister who was homesick for fresh garden produce!
So I picked and picked and picked cucumbers from all those lush, climbing vines still blooming with hundreds of yellow flowers! I canned 42 jars of pickles while I was there, and Mom wanted to help, so I had her scrub cucumbers and wash a few dishes. And then I wanted her to sit down so I gave her the job of peeling garlic! She insisted on walking all the way to the end of the drive to the roadside stand to retrieve the little carton of garlic out there.

We all pitched in for Sunday dinner. I made the cucumber salad and
deviled eggs. Others brought watermelon, a huge lettuce salad,
casseroles....
And we may not be able to spend our lives going around the country playing music or singing for all the nursing homes and assisted living places and churches who need music ministry, but, as our friends the Hudsons and we did yesterday here 17 miles from home, we can play and sing for one!

It's been months since the children played or sang somewhere like this, mostly due to Covid restrictions, but the Hudsons found this assisted living place that wanted us to come and share outdoors.
Yes, we may not be able to relieve the suffering of everyone in the world. But we can relieve one sufferer. Maybe we can't provide for all the orphans and neglected elderly and handicapped, but we can cheer one, send one card, send one donation for widows, sew one baby quilt for an unwed mother, share one row of extra garden produce, help someone one day, make one meal, clean one car, comfort one child, hug one elderly person about to leave for surgery, care for them when they come home, sit in the wretched darkness with one sufferer, console one anxious puppy, sing for one group of lonely seniors.
When we cannot relieve everyone, we can still relieve one!












No comments:
Post a Comment