Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Christmas Eggs--When Your Heart Is Overwhelmed

When I just needed to get away for a little bit of quiet during Christmas time, 
just needed a place where I could go to stop trying to process burying a mother-in-law and helping a grieving father-in-law and cleaning up behind all the busy goings-on, 
I would slip out to the chicken coop.
 
Now I know that chicken coops aren't the place most people go to find peace and unwind a bit. 
They might go to the mall or the park or out on a quiet walk or to the gym to work out.
Me? I head to the chicken coop. 
There's just something about peeking into all the nest boxes and discovering a couple eggs here and several there.
And of course, there are always the empty boxes, too.
But in the end, I have a whole basket of eggs! 
Lord, thank You for Your little creatures and the gifts they give us when we are needing something to remind us that the world is still going 'round even if we are missing a loved one.
The hens are still in the coop, giving us the gift of eggs every single day.
And yes, I know they have a pecking order.
Some of those poor chickens have been pretty pecked and are missing feathers.
But they seem to know where they belong on the perches or in the corners of the pen when night comes. 
There they are, feathers all fluffed, ready to keep warm through the night while processing more eggs to lay in the morning!
 
I haven't any eggs to lay like the hens,
and I have no feathers to fluff and I can't even begin to keep hold of a perch in the chicken coop!
But Lord, "when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I!"
Something solid, unchanging, and peaceful. 
Lead me, Lord, to Your side!


No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...