Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Putting Away Christmas--and Where Are My Affections?

This year I was more reluctant than usual to "put away Christmas."
There had been so many sad things in the last couple months, and the warm, cozy lights and decorations of Christmas were something I just couldn't bear to put away on New Year's Eve or New Years Day as I used to do.
 It wasn't hurting anything to leave the Christmas tree up a little longer. 
Even if it looked a little scraggly and minus all kinds of ribbons, garland, and tinsel. 
(Our children say if we are going to have a tree, we are going to have a tree, and not cover it up with all sorts of jizz jazz. SO, they hang ornaments and string about 4 strings of colored lights, and that is that.

But at night when the children are gone to their rooms and I am walking with my prayer time in the dimness of evening with the firelight and Christmas lights the only ones burning,
that is when I can't bear to take the lights and decorations down.  
So it helps when I am checking Hannah's grammar and I see the following sentence, "Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth."

I am so thankful that my children have Christian curriculum for their school work. 
Sometimes I am blessed myself as the teacher, going over their work...  
...as I was today. "Where are my affections?" I reminded myself, as I thought about my lack of gumption to put away the Christmas things. 
Rose had come down sick yesterday and was huddled, sleeping by the Christmas tree while I taught school. 
Yes, my affections are not in Christmas--its trees, lights, cards or even Christ-centered decor.
My affections have been set on things above, not on things on the earth. Putting away a wall hanging that says "Joy" on it does not put away joy. Taking the lights off the Christmas tree does not extinguish the Light of the World. Hauling the greens and branches out doesn't make our peace disappear. 
Remind me, Lord, that You are the One I set my affections on. Remind me that my heavenly home is where I am laying up my treasures.  Remind me that when the festivities are over, You are my joy, my light, and my treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...