Sunday, October 2, 2022

At the River--With Canoe, Christ, and John the Baptist

 Not sure if White River that runs near our place in South Dakota is anything like the Jordan where John the Baptist preached, but it must be a little bit like it,

 

the river that saw and heard a most amazing thing--the meeting of the rough and tumble wilderness preacher and the spotless Lamb of God. I read about it yesterday. 
John was out there doing exactly what God had called him to do--preaching the gospel of repentance and then baptizing the repentant. Then Jesus showed up, coming through the scrub and brush by the river there.

John could have been in awe at best or a bit smug at worst. "Wow! I get to be the one to baptize the Lamb of God!" 
Instead, "I have need to be baptized by You!" the famous baptizer said in consternation, "and do You come to me?" 
Unworthy to carry the dusty sandals of Jesus, he would so much rather be baptized by Jesus than do the baptizing.
But I got something else out of this awe-filled statement.
It was not about the baptism, but about Christ's coming to John--and to us. 
I've heard so many sermons preached on the baptism of the Holy Spirit,
the baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire,
 and how we need to seek it,
ask for it, pray for it, fast for it, and tarry until we get it. 
But I've never heard what I saw and heard as I read this verse yesterday.
 

It would seem that if we need Jesus to baptize us, we should go to Him somehow. 

Through prayer, fasting, seeking, knocking, asking, believing, obeying. 

Right?

 But I saw what else John noted. "And do You come to me?" It was all in the same sentence.

What if our eyes could be opened as John's were, wet and bedraggled in the river, who, knowing he needed the baptism of the Spirit that only Christ can give, also saw in awe and wonder that that same Christ was coming to Him! He is never far away from those who need Him.

What if, as we reach out the wet, dripping hand of our heart in the simplest way imaginable, we would discover Him coming to us, taking that hand and filling us so with His Spirit that His love and grace would ever after flow like a river through our earthen vessels, clay pots though we are, for His glory?

 At whatever river we stand beside, whether the White River, Missouri, Susquehanna, Snake, Rio Grande, Yangtze, Amazon, or Jordan, He comes to us!

I need to be baptized of You, Jesus! Oh, thank You for coming to me this morning!

1 comment:

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...