Saturday Hannah and I made pies to take in for Sunday dinner at Grandpa's.

We also made some dishes Grandma used to make--coleslaw with hot bacon dressing and zucchini muffins, along with one of the last bear roasts we have from last year, potatoes and carrots and green beans, and buttered beets straight from our garden!
There's something about pies that is just comforting, I think.
It's more than the dessert itself.
It's the time it takes to make it, the love that goes into a special dessert that's chock full of fruit or creamy stuff.
"Whoever came up with the expression 'easy as pie'?" someone asked yesterday.
We all agreed. Pies take a lot of work, probably about one hour per pie.
"Maybe we should say, 'easy as brownies'!" someone suggested.
Talking to Jonathan about pies on the way home, how Grandma used to often have pies for Sunday dinner, and how I like to serve pies, too, every once in a while, I said, "I think it's about the love that goes into them."
Because it takes time. But love makes time.
I would much rather have been hovering at my computer with my writing projects, but instead, I was rolling out pie dough and checking for the best recipe for blueberry pie,
since Jonathan found a deal on blueberries.
That blueberry pie was amazing-sparkling with sugar sprinkled on top of the lattice topping that Hannah had helped me make.
And after pie and ice cream, the family sat around playing the player piano for Rose's boyfriend's sister who had never heard it before.
It filled the empty house with happy noise. Grandpa always enjoys when the girls play the piano--and even when someone inserts those music rolls and pumps the pedals and plays very fast Christmas music that makes your feet want to lift right off the floor!
It was a beautiful dinner time--complete with pies, and photos of the changing leaves and still-blooming clematis outdoors, and love.
Pies, yes, but most of all--
LOVE.







Is that the Clematis that that J&H Lucas had in their minivan when they spent the night at our house a few years ago??? If so I'm greatly amazed!!! I was 99.9 % sure that it would perish within months,if not weeks. After all I lived there for decades; plus, I worked in that neighborhood for months in 77&78 . In fact I wired the first half dozen homes there under B Star Elec / Homes by Kelly const./ & I can't just now recall the developer's name.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, anything and ANYONE touched by the Tender LOVING
Loving Hands of H Lucas should be expected to do well, EVEN with only a -point 1 % chance of survival ! She had a unique connection to the Giver of all Life all Love & all Light ! ,.,., if thats the same clematis pls let me know. -,-,-,- D L Franklin B @5024453751
ReplyDelete