Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Fun Despite Cancer--Musical Instrument Museum

Today I was done at the clinic by two o'clock, so since I was not having a bad day, I decided that Rose and I would visit the Musical Instrument Museum that a lady at the clinic had recommended. 

A sweet friend--oops, I almost said her name--had sent some money along with Rose from Colorado for "spending money," she said. And so I spent some of it for tickets to a place that would at least be cool, and maybe in more than one sense! 
This fountain was bubbling outside, and a little flock of doves were fluttering at the other end. 
I found just enough shade to stand in to take a picture and then made a run for the entrance to the museum through the stifling heat hoping not to have a heat stroke on the way!
 
 After having my bottled water confiscated and put in a locker for later pickup (they didn't know about the almonds in my purse in case I needed a pick-me-up after not being able to eat much for lunch due to a queasy stomach after chemo yesterday)  we were given headsets to wear which would pick up on the videos being played in each display. Click on the picture above and enlarge to read the sign.

Needless to say, since music has been so much a part of my life, I enjoyed this museum very much! And even though there was more than one time that I hoped I would not keel over or pass out, I stayed upright and made it all the way through. Here there is a handbell display.
And here were various autoharps, with little signs by each one telling where it was made or by whom. 

But basically the entire upper floor of the museum was laid out by continents and then by countries of the world--with typical instruments for each country represented.
This made for a far more fascinating museum than I ever imagined.
You can guess which country's display was one of my favorites--with the familiar bandura that my friend Linda Sturtevant used to play.
Since we have either been to or have friends in so many countries, this was especially fun for us.  We have missionary friends in Senegal.
And here were instruments from Mongolia--where my brother Elon's family spent so many years, and the country that has been on his daughter's mind so much lately as she faces tough treatments at a Lyme clinic in Mexico. 

Something I noticed was how often cultural or otherwise special dress often accompanied a country's music.
And this instrument was made from mulberry wood, so of course I had to take a picture to show my friends in White River who let me pick from their mulberry trees.

Don't ask me what this instruments sounds like. You make a guess!

 
 Guatemala's marimba brought back pleasant memories of playing my vibraharp in years of yore!

 Quite unlike this one with gourds underneath each key, mine had brass pipes. 
One of the countries had a grater with a fork--probably a folk instrument. 
 I couldn't resist a photo of the artwork on the back of this banjo in this display. And more pictures coming in another post. I don't want this post to be so long that it is hard to upload.
I just know that after coming out of this fascinating place, I thought to myself, "Who thought that being down in Arizona for cancer treatment could be so fun?"
I praise God for every day that I am able to be up and around and totally enjoying life, making new memories with my sweet daughter Rose who has been taking really, really good care of me.
(I don't even have to do dishes while she is here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...