With one cancer treatment added into my regimen after another, the poor little me has been weakening little by little and I'm not able to go on the longer walks as I did the first few weeks. Plus the cooler temperatures of last week are rising back up to 114 today, which means I can't endure the heat for more than a few minutes in the very early hour of sunrise.
And so we just go walking around our complex here, usually on Mary Munde Walk, one direction one day and the other direction the next.
Or on a morning when I'm fasting before chemo, we'll just walk around the block and up around the fountains.
Me being the worrier that I am, I started worrying about something as simple as not having anything new to see on our morning walks.
We used to see doves or hummingbirds at the fountains when we first arrived, but no birds are there anymore. The doves flutter up to roofs and the quail families are growing up and the babies aren't so cute anymore.
So my goodness, I am going to be all bored, and I need something new to worry about.
Well, Sunday morning we decided to simply go down the one street just a little ways in a different direction, and the first thing we noticed, about 50 feet down the sidewalk was this shaggy palm tree.
"I guess that's what palm trees look like when you don't trim them," Jonathan observed.
"Like beards when you don't trim them," I added.
And then a whole flock of doves or pigeons went suddenly taking off into the air.
We stood there watching and watching the birds circling, wings beating the air.
We had only gone a few hundred feet out of our usual way.
But we had not been bored.
And we went home through a short cut, past this beautiful bougainvillea bush.
We just went a few hundred feet a different direction and saw new things with old eyes.
Sometimes you have to make your own happiness, write your own stories.
Just step out of your beaten path and look for the shaggy palms, listen for the beating wings of doves, and smell the bougainvillae!
No comments:
Post a Comment