Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Recycled Orchestra--My Favorite Spot in the Museum

Today I'm exhausted from a hard day after a night when I'd not been able to sleep for a few hours. (I got up to blog, because why not when you can't sleep anyway.) I only weighed 91.8 pounds this morning. I called a friend because I needed some encouragement, and then I am sitting down here to blog about my favorite part of the music museum yesterday. 

It was a spot called "Recycled Orchestra." And it showed replicas of several instruments that had been made out of trash.

A poster told the story of how "amid a massive landfill in Cateura, Paraguay, children find hope in musical instruments built from recycled trash."
In a slum town where families survive by collecting and reselling garbage, music teacher Favio Chavez was undaunted by a shortage of musical instruments. He gathered a team to plunder the landfill for  materials to construct an ensemble similar to the instruments you see above.
This innovation led to a thriving music school and a youth orchestra that performs around the world! 
I
All I could do was stand there in awe. 
Always intrigued with treasures made from trash, I thought how this is just one more example of how God can pick up the broken things in our lives,
the garbage,
the trash,
the mistakes, 
the failures,
the disappointments,
the cancer,
the lyme, 
the diagnoses,
the losses and griefs,
the misunderstandings and hurts,
and make something wonderful out of them.
If a music teacher could turn an old barrel into a stringed instrument, and a piece of metal and bent fork into parts for a violin,
can't God also bring some kind of beautiful music out of the garbage piles of our lives?
Can't He give a cancer patient a song in the night, even if it is made with a bent fork connected by bits of wire to a tin can?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful encouragement you share. Such a blessing! I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...