Eight days ago in Arizona, Jonathan and I realized we were driving within a mile of another patient's rented home who had been receiving treatments at Oasis of Healing clinic the whole time I have been going. We decided to buy a pot of flowers to take to her as we said goodbye, since she and her family were also leaving Arizona, the same day we were!
Jonathan and I found this profoundly interesting. Thirteen months ago when I first arrived at the clinic in Arizona, this Mennonite couple met us. They had arrived one week earlier and were able to encourage us as we began to navigate the port surgery, treatments, and finding our way in this new world of cancer treatment.
We have been fellow patients this entire time. The clinic staff seated us next to each other as they quickly understood that we two ladies had a lot in common besides cancer, including conservative Christian beliefs.
To our surprise, we both left the clinic behind on the very same day.
As Jonathan and I packed and began our journey back to South Dakota via Colorado, we thought how providential it had been for Judy and me to have each other, and for Jonathan and her husband Willie to have each other as they each tried to support a wife's physical battle.
Neither she nor I know how this journey will end, but one thing we know.
We have not walked alone.
As Jonathan and I drove through Navajo land in northern Arizona, we passed more than one flock of sheep, such as this one above.
One flock had a shepherd with it, near the road. I almost asked Jonathan to turn around so I could get a picture of the shepherd with his sheep.
"I am the good shepherd," Jesus said. "My sheep know my voice; and I know them, and they follow me."
In a cancer journey, I have to admit that I have not always known the voice of God when it came to what treatment to do.
Do we go conventional or alternative?
Do we do chemo or not? What about surgery?
Do we go to this clinic or that one or another place?
I haven't been sure of God's voice in these matters. Maybe others hear God's voice saying, "Do chemo," or "Have surgery," or "Use alternative treatment plans."
I prayed for guidance, but I never heard it like that. Much of what I have done has just been the best I knew to do with my knowledge, background, experiences, and research, along with a husband's help and professionals' guidance.
I longed to hear God's voice saying, "Do this." I would have done it.
But one thing I know, no matter what I chose, or what direction I went,
I did not walk alone.
When I entered Oasis of Healing Clinic in AZ, God had Judy there ahead of me.
When I was sitting quietly last week at UC Health Breast Surgery suite in Colorado Springs, a Christian lady we knew came through the door with a couple Spanish-speaking ladies. Our friend speaks Spanish and little did we know has worked at UC Health for quite a few years as a medical translator.
I had hardly sat down when here came one of God's "angels" with a smile to ask us how we were.
When I walk through the dark valley of not knowing, He is there, the good Shepherd.
I never walk alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment