Sunday, August 4, 2024

Garden Bounty and Beauty

Our South Dakota garden has been beautifully bountiful.
Purple onions of our own, green and yellow beans, cucumbers and zucchini coming on.  Crystal sliced and chopped for a stir fry with some grouse friends had given us. I didn't know what to do with that grouse with claws on it and feathers and too much blood. But after several rinses and cutting off the forelegs and claws and cleaning off the grouse, I simply put it in the crockpot. You would have thought it was beef as Danny did, when I put grouse meat on his and Jonathan's sandwiches for one or two lunches!
That is grouse in the top corner.
Other days the children and I made zucchini relish and pickles from extra zucchini and cucumbers from our garden or that were given to us.  
I don't think we had canned zucchini relish for three years. Last year we were still living in the RV or else I was in cancer treatment in AZ, and we didn't can anything except maybe a few jars of applesauce and plum jam.  
This year I felt we should try to put up any surplus that we had. 
Hannah marks the jars 2024.  
Green beans are Jonathan's favorite. Even after the rabbits got most of the young plants, enough plants grew that we could have some meals of it and even freeze a few quarts!
Danny brought home some fish when he went fishing with friends one evening.  
Jonathan tries to make sure Danny has time for fun because Danny has been such a wonderful help with our work, ministry, and finishing of our house.
 And then there's the flowers Hannah has been growing in her flower garden behind our house.  
Pansies are one of my favorites! 

But there are batchelors buttons, poppies, scarlet rye, zinnias, roses, and so much more. 
I hide the beauty in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...