Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Angel Wings in the Morning Sky

Do you see what I saw when I went out the door yesterday morning for a walk before clinic appointments?
It looked like angel wings to me! 
I was grateful for the clouds over the sun as Crystal and I took our early morning walk before heading off to the clinic, but the words to a favorite hymn came to me. 
"Under His wings I am safely abiding, Tho' the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me. He has redeemed me, and I am His child.
Under His wings, under His wings, Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide, Safely abide forever.

 Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blest. 


 Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me.
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore."

When I looked up who wrote this hymn, I found it was a minister, William Cushing, who was beloved by young and old. Soon after his wife died, he developed a creeping paralysis that took away his voice. But after retiring from ministry, he asked God for something to do and discovered he could write. Despite the loss of his voice, he wrote hymns and songs for others to sing, including "Under His Wings," "Down in the Valley With My Savior I Would Go," "O Safe to the Rock That Is Higher Than I," (one of my favorites), "Ring the Bells of Heaven," and "When He Cometh to Make Up His Jewels" (anther of my favorite children's hymns).   At the end of his life he joined the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Lisbon Center, New York.

I appreciate the comforts like these angel wings in the sky that the Lord gives along the way as I am here at Oasis of Healing again here in Mesa, AZ. Crystal snapped the picture above of me waiting for IVs and chemo.

How precious to know that in the middle of difficulties, pain, and things out of our control, we can rest under God's wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...