Sunday Jonathan, Crystal and I took a walk down through the burn area to the river.
Our dog and puppy came, too, and the goats wanted to, but the gate was closed.
It was such a lovely day, despite the burn scar. I kept having to pull sand burs out of my skirt as we walked through the field. I don't know how the fire didn't burn those!
So there was the river, still rolling along despite the devastation on the bank.
Jonathan pointed out how the fire burned inside this hollow tree.
I didn't want to look up the way where the draw used to be so pretty with leafy trees. Now it's a burned mess.
"One of the reasons we bought this place," I ventured, remembering, " (aside from the fact that it was about the only land available in the area) was the beautiful view. Now it's been destroyed."
The burn scar was noticed by a Fed Ex man who drove in to deliver a package a few days ago.
"Wasn't it scary?" he asked.
And we got to talking about the fire.
"But that's why," I told the man, "we have to remember to set our affections on things above, not on things on the earth."
Of course I ran one bin of photo albums after another out to the car that fiery day, and this wedding picture from the wall, but there really wasn't much in our house that my heart was set on.
Not even the house itself.
It is a place from which to minister, not a place for just ourselves.
It is a place from which to minister, not a place for just ourselves.
And to think that God spared it.
He must have a plan for it and us.
Jonathan and I relaxed by the river for a while, burrs behind us, my feet dug deep into the river mud, enjoying the sunshine and the rippling water. And on the way home, noticing the little wisps of green plants already making their way through the charcoal of the prairie fire.
Let us come through every fiery trial, Lord, with Your life continuing to manifest itself in us, and may our affections be on things above, and not on homes, or beautiful views, or even on our personal ministries.
But on You.
And You alone, for You are our Treasure and our Reward.
No comments:
Post a Comment