Friday, January 31, 2025

Grace in Teaspoons

When I saw this wall decor on clearance for $3.99 at Hobby Lobby in Rapid City several weeks ago, I purchased it to hang in our kitchen. 
It was a quote by one of my favorite authors, Amy Carmichael.
"Thank God, He does not measure grace out in teaspoons." 
Nor, I could add, does He measure it out in mere cupfuls or even bucketfuls.
He has oceans of it at our disposal. 
I felt some of that grace tonight--right when Satan was trying to mess with my mind and my peace.

Instead, something beautiful happened--sacredly private--shockingly beautiful. 
It should have been the opposite.
Instead, what Satan meant for evil, God turned for good.
Buckets of grace when Satan wanted to douse my joy and peace. 
Now after a busy day of helping Ned and Judy Sherman butcher pigs, I thought for sure I could go to sleep right away like I did last night--dropping asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow, too tired to hardly move.
Not so tonight, despite all the hard work of the day.  
My feet were hot again, I guess from chemo neuropathy. Usually my feet are cold. But they were hot, and I ended up wide awake. 
I came out to read an article that came in the mail a day or two ago, "The Antidote to a Downcast Heart," by Gary Wilkerson, son of Dave Wilkerson who wrote The Cross and the Switchblade.  
Here is a link to the same article online: https://www.worldchallenge.org/newsletter/2024/antidote-downcast-heart
And here is a little song that a friend shared with us on Facebook

"So I hit my knees 'cause I've seen all heaven move.
I pray, "Father, please" 'cause I've seen what He can do.
These hands have no power.
But there ain't an hour He don't come through.
That's why when mountains move, I say
"Looks like somebody prayed."
I've seen miracles come from feeble words.
I've seen hospital rooms turned into cathedrals.
I've seen freedom come to the prisoner.
You can't tell me that prayer don't work.
So every night there by your bed.
When you fold your hands and bow your head.
Not a single word you've ever said
 in vain.
'Cause He hears everything."

"When you walk through the fire [of neuropathy, grief, loss, loneliness, cancer, injustice, false accusations, stress of whatever kind] you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you...
Since you were precious in my sight, you have been honored, and I have loved you...
Fear not, for I am with you."
Isaiah 43:2-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...