Sunday a Lakota lady who came to church noticed the Lakota-themed Christmas design Crystal and I had put together for the bulletin board in the church basement.
"I like it," she said softly.
"Come to my ti-pi, Lord Jesus," it said, and there was baby Jesus in a manger inside a paper ti-pi, with the opening folded back for 3-D effect. We had a little dog snoozing, and a silouette of a horse standing nearby on this sleepy, starry Christmas night.
This month, I felt like we ought to think about what would be meaningful to the Lakota people who come through our church doors. Our typical manger scene might not mean much to them.
White Mary, white Joseph, little blond baby Jesus.
What if baby Jesus was brown-faced? What if He had been born in something like a ti-pi?
Surely a donkey or horse may have stood near that night.
I wanted them to think about inviting Jesus into their hearts--into their culture, their little homes, their hearts.
Our kitty found a place to snuggle on the furry inside of my winter boot. Jesus said the foxes have holes and the birds have nests, but He had no where to lay His head. Had he been here on the prairie, He probably would have said, "The prairie dogs have holes, and the burrowing owls have nests..." but does the Son of God have a place to rest?
Can it be my heart, Lord Jesus?
I pray so.
Come to my ti-pi, Lord Jesus.
Come to my house, my apartment, my RV, my cottage, my igloo, my tent, whatever it may be.
Just come!
No comments:
Post a Comment