Thanksgiving Day in Colorado this year was filled with the delight of getting to enjoy little Ellie Rose--
who was quite fascinated with Jonathan's beard and glasses!
Several of us stayed at Carrie's home that she recently moved into, and Thanksgiving morning was busy with hunting for and baking recipes in Carrie's cookbook given her by our old friend, Linda Lee Goodwin.
Joe and Mary Hagerty's family, Rose's in-laws, invited our whole crew for the holiday, including Jonathan's dad and wife Ruth. Every lady contributed a dish or two. Mrs. Hagerty roasted two turkeys. Sam's wife Caitlyn made a delicious Fall Fruit Salad with apples, blackberries, grapes, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Mmm!
Mr. Hagerty led in prayer before the meal--one of the most thoughtful, heart-felt prayers I've ever heard prayed before a Thanksgiving meal. We truly took time to worship at the feet of God, to whom we collectively and reverently gave thanks.
We must never forget to remember God on Thanksgiving Day--to not just treat the day as if it were only for baking turkeys, feasting luxuriously, and enjoying family and games.
Together, for solemn but grateful moments, we praised God from Whom all blessings flow.
Whenever I had a chance, I would hold Ellie--a precious blessing from God!
She was Miss Wiggle Worm personified!!
The young people gathered around two folding tables.
We grandparents, great-grandparents, and a few youngers in the dining room!
Hagertys' neighbor whose husband was in the hospital also joined us a bit later, and I loved how she was made welcome and included in the festivities. I always like to see people including others--not just ourselves with selfish joys, but remembering those who are experiencing hard times.
Let them join in some warmth, fellowship, and joy--and then take news of it to the weary and lonely rooms of suffering.
Jonathan had pieces of pecan pie more than once Thanksgiving weekend--and so did others, obviously! :)
Grandpa suggested a photo with four generations in it.
Here the spouses joined in. Dear Ruth has been part of the family now for two and a half years. How good God was to bring someone along to provide companionship for Daddy Lucas, especially since we ended up moving to South Dakota and couldn't drop in very often.
Most of the afternoon lots of us played volleyball--including me!
I couldn't believe I had the energy and also that I didn't end up stowing my fingers or wrenching my wrist doing the serves.
The young people won't know how much I enjoyed that!
So many memories of my own family growing up playing volleyball--and now it's our own family with in-laws.
Just as it was getting dark, nearly all we gals took a walk in the brisk cold.
Thanksgiving evening some of the girls and we two moms gathered to sing and play mandolins and dulcimer. It was a pleasant ending to Thanksgiving Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment