Friday, December 19, 2025

Hiccupping Under the Christmas Tree

Last night for whatever reason, I could not sleep despite being extremely tired. I felt blessed to have had the energy to work with Crystal for 3 1/4 hours cleaning apartments in town, just under the 3 1/2 hours I'd helped her a couple days earlier at the same apartments--all manner of cleaning, especially the kitchen fridges and cupboards. It was a one-time work opportunity for someone who manages the apartments that are usually rented to traveling nurses. 
But Jonathan was traveling home very late from Rapid City, having had to take back a rented piece of work equipment from Martin, and I seldom sleep well if at all, if he isn't home yet.
Plus, I had been fighting a kidney infection and other bone pain, and I found myself feeling unsettled.
And as if that wasn't enough, yesterday was the day when both Gene and Becky Cadwell, a couple that I know, were laid to rest--having both lost their lives in a head-on collision the week before. While it is a tragedy on one hand, I couldn't help thinking how blessed they were to go together--suddenly, without leaving one behind terribly injured, without spending months or years suffering and waiting through a long, slow death. 
Even when Jonathan arrived home safely and was in bed with me, I still couldn't sleep. I was still in pain, and I got up to blog, even though I didn't really know what to blog about. I was unnerved and worried and a little afraid, and I don't know what the future holds. 
Also I was a bit hungry, and so I ate some sourdough bread with butter and peanut butter and honey--and it was so good I ate some more, and then a little more.
That is when I got the hiccups. 
So I was unnerved, feeling guilty for eating a little too much snack, and now I had hiccups--a great set-up for feeling inspired to write a blog post that would bless millions, you know. I didn't want to turn on the glaring ceiling lights, and then, as I saw the cozy lights on the Christmas tree, I thought of  writing a poem under the Christmas tree lights. And then the thought came to me to change the words to the Christmas song, "O Tannenbaum..." or "O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree..."
So there under the Christmas tree lights huddled this mom, hiccupping helplessly (nothing would stop them) and writing these new verses to a little old song. 

O wings of God now cover me!
How safe and warm Your feathers!
O wings of God now comfort me
Both now and then forever!
Not only when my path is light
But when come pain and sorrow's night,
O wings of God now cover me!
How safe and warm Your feathers!
O heart of God my shield be,
My only hope in testing
O wings of God I come to Thee,
Safe under You I'm resting.
In You is all my heart's delight,
Someday with You I'll take my flight.
O cover me Thou wings of God,
Safe under You I'm resting.

And the little hiccupping mom finally stopped hiccupping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...