Wednesday, February 18, 2026

"Fire Every Direction I Look"

"There's fire every direction I look," were the last words for a while that my son Sam texted his wife as he was in the middle of a fast and furious wildfire that was burning hundreds of acres between Matheson and Limon, CO. The fire was between roads we travel on all the time in Colorado. 
When I messaged Sam's mother-in-law wondering if Sam had any update since he had sent pictures earlier on his way back from work to join firefighters, she told me about this message.
I got just a little worked up. I am just his mom, not even his expectant wife, but I got a little worked up. 
I went to the window and prayed and then I told myself that Sam would enjoy his adventure, but his training would kick in and he'd follow protocols for safety. 
Plus, if he thought he were about to burn up, he would surely have finished his text with "I love you."
But then, being Sam, maybe not. He's like his dad and assumes everything is going to be all right, and usually it is. 
We could see three graders in the photo, plowing a fire break along one of the roads. At least eleven fire departments were on this fire, and they kept it from jumping Rt. 71 and saved at least three structures and homes. 
When I asked Sam later if he were personally involved in saving the homes, he said no, but that he had saved some dry grass and at least one tumbleweed!!! Rose sent a teary-eyed kitty emoji in response, telling him "I'm so proud of you!")
But yesterday with winds of 50 mph, no one knew how bad this fire would become. 
Here in South Dakota, Danny was welding church porch railings at Martin, but had to quit yesterday because the wind was bad here, too. With the severely dry conditions, we couldn't risk starting a fire with one spark from welding. 
We couldn't afford to have something like this happen. It was a relief to know Sam was safe later, though he did not return home till late that night, only to have to be out for another 2 1/2 hours on an accident call, and then leave again in the morning to help "mop up" at the fire scene.  Sam worked for hours to completely put out a haystack smoldering, and other firemen worked on a big smoldering mess that was still burning in a ditch and could easily start another fire. The fire was mapped at about 10 miles long and a mile wide, covering 5500 acres. Bad, but not as terrible as the fires burning in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas. Jonathan found a map online showing all the fires burning right now in our country. It is disastrous and if only our country would turn back to God and pray. 
Today Danny did more welding and worked inside, and then told us stories from a workman he works with, whose cousin was beaten and stabbed yesterday and ended up in the  Rapid City hospital. He also told us about a drunk man across the street from the fire department where Danny was in training the other evening. The drunk was hollering questions to a fellow fireman, and asking if he wanted a hug. 
The fireman assured him he did not want a hug, but the others just had to rib him about all that!
Supper time is a great time to share all the things that happen in our days. And it is good that not all news is bad. Rose and Tom keep in touch with delightful pictures of dear little Ellie who constantly brings smiles into our lives and our world. 
I am so grateful for many things to keep my mind busy and occupied so that I do not focus so much about cancer and chemo. Fires give me something to blog about! 
Now this morning as I add on a bit here, I re-read the first chapter of I Peter that we listened to on our way to my chemo appointments yesterday. A verse that stood out to me today was about the "genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
Lord, give me a faith, which though tested by fire, may be found to Your praise and honor and glory for Christ's sake." Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...