Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Our Kids Climb Highest Mountain in Colorado!

Two weeks ago when we went camping in the mountains, Sam, Carrie, Rose and Timmy had decided they wanted to climb Mt. Elbert, the highest mountain in Colorado, and I think they said the second highest
in the continental United States, but you might want to look that up in an almanac!
Anyway, they made it to the top!
We were very proud of them!
They had climbed Mt. Missouri the day before, which is also one of Colorado's Fourteeners.
So they were pretty tired out by the end of those two days.
Can you find the living creature camouflaged in the rocks?
The younger children picked a few wild currants...
and gathered treasures. 
We don't always understand what value other folks see in things that we don't find much value in.
We might value climbing mountains and scaling peaks--
climbing the corporate ladder, 
making lots of money, doing some great deed of service or having a splendid vacation-- 
while others scoop up feathers that some poor bird lost,
pick a single pretty flower,
count their empty bullet shells
and put in a quarter for a handful of fish food to feed the fish.

 We might turn up our noses at the simple treasures others collect,
the fish they choose to feed,
or the choices they make in life.

 While we climb every mountain and ford every stream,
and follow every rainbow, 
there are those who have already found their dream.
It's called contentment.

1 comment:

  1. I was all excited about climbing Mt Elbert with a group from church, in July. But I got sick with a bad cough that lasted, and Doug didn't want to go just to camp at the bottom if the others were climbing. So we didn't go after all. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...