Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Joy is Homemade--and Christ-made!

A couple weeks ago I couldn't seem to resist some Christmas decorations at Walmart, including this cute snowman sign.
The word "JOY" just really nestled right into my heart!
But when I got to the cash register, my bill sailed up and up and up.
I didn't have time at the moment to go through my stuff and decide what to put back, so I brought everything home, where a newsletter from our beloved Christian Aid Ministries sat on my desk
with stories of families in Romania, Ukraine, Haiti and other impoverished countries.
Families with little or no food, clothes, or heat for the terrible cold.
And how a gift of about $50 would provide a box of food for such families.
And here I had just spent more than that on mere Christmas decorations for my porch, plus others for inside.That snowman one above was about $20 by itself.
I had a bit of a struggle over that. I really liked what I had bought. I don't very often allow myself to spend much money on house or Christmas decoration. I wanted to learn to decorate better,and find meaningful, tasteful and Christ-honoring decorations this year. So what could I do? Could I have decorations and send money to a poor family, too?
Well, I decided to ask Timmy if he could make me a decoration something like the one from Walmart, so I could take the expensive one back. And he and I together got this one made for free, with a couple boards from a pallet, a thin board that he jigsawed for the head, and some paint!
I was completely happy with this homemade rendition.
I decided that really it was the word "JOY" that had captivated me on that one from Walmart,and not the felt hat or scarf or felt boots or felt face.
Yes, it was the word "JOY" most of all!
I realized I have that word on Christmas decorations this year all through the house.

But somehow, the longer I keep and use all these decorations, the less they mean to me--because really joy doesn't come from these material things.


The snowman Walmart decoration is going back to Walmart, along with a bag of other things that I decided I really didn't need.
Because we can have joy without a lot of stuff!
I had quite a few things at home already, some from years past and some given me from my sister Joella who was getting rid of some blue Christmas decorations when we visited her in Missouri last time, and some home made or from the goodwills.

A few nights ago when I was up late because my heart was hurting, I read these words of joy:"Fear not," the angel said. "For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy..."
The words stood out to me like never before. They were God's words.
"Good tidings! Great Joy!"
And what made them even more joyful was that they would be "for all people"!
"That means you!" the Holy Spirit whispered to me.
These words of joy were for all people--and that means you and me.
Not to some spiritually elite group of people.
Not past, not future, but for you and me now, in this present moment,
however painful or joyful it is--
the good news is that we have "a Savior, who is Christ the Lord!"
Oh, how we need a Savior!
"Old Testament tabernacle and priests and sacrifices were shadows. Now the reality has come, and the shadows pass away... Christmas is the replacement of shadows with the real thing."--John Piper
Christmas--the time of tidings of comfort and joy!
A Savior has come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...