There was a heartache this evening that I could not handle alone.
I don't know about you, but sometimes, it just seems that a short prayer is best--asking the Lord about the heartache, and turning it over to Him. And then I knew that the longer I stayed there bowed in prayer, the longer I would stew over it.
So I got busy.
Sam had earned his firefighter badge the other night, and now he needed someone to hand sew this firefighter patch on his new uniform's sleeve.
It was late but I needed something to do that would just keep my hands and mind busy--and calm.
Something to do to help me get my mind off it, and some kind of way that would let the Lord know that not only did I bring the heartache to Him,
but that I was leaving it there.
So with scissors and thread and needle, I sewed.
And the words kept coming to me today that have been a solace and encouragement to me since I was a teenager and wrote them on an index card in my Bible:
"Never despair!
But if you do, work on in despair."
So today I worked despite the heartache--sorting and cleaning up in the basement, sorting and cleaning up in the garage, making a snowman cheeseball for the Fireman's Christmas dinner this evening,
and frying onions till they were golden for a topping for a green bean
casserole (minus the French Fried onions which we'd run out of.
Ordinary work can be good therapy for heartache--
but it's not always effective.
It needs to be combined with prayer and trust and coming to Jesus for healing of the heartache.
Some things are just too big for us to handle by ourselves.
And so I sewed.
And so I write.
Jesus, when I despair, help me not to give up because of all the heartache.
Help me to work on despite the tunnel and the heartache, till I come out on the other side..
No comments:
Post a Comment