Family projects are great fun--
at least after you get started--
at least after you get started--
like everyone pitching in to help paint a bedroom--
especially when Daddy lets the kids first paint whatever they want before rolling the paint on properly!
There were some grumps at first, I'll be honest about it. Who wants to paint a bedroom when there are books to read and computer games to play? (Precisely why the painting came into us parents' mind!)
There were some grumps at first, I'll be honest about it. Who wants to paint a bedroom when there are books to read and computer games to play? (Precisely why the painting came into us parents' mind!)
I asked Danny to add the heart, and he very happily did so!
Everyone knows that Dad loves Mom, and Mom loves Dad!
And work can be fun when 1)you work together with others and
2) You are more concerned about making it a fun project for the children than just about getting it done fast enough and about perfectionism. (I found paint several places throughout the house later--Yikes!)
I didn't figure I would have let the kids draw with paint on the walls, but Jonathan did, and I liked that he let them.
After all, we were doing this project that evening partly so that the room would get painted and partly so that the children would have something besides computer games to do.
I admit Jonathan and I are getting older (50 and above) and we don't have the gusto we used to have, so letting the children play on the computer while we do what we want is a huge temptation.
It's not easy to give up our goals and instead think first of our
children and what is best for them even if it means giving up my
personal preferences. Whether I'm 51 and tired or not, I am still
responsible for my younger children just like my older ones.
It would be easier in the short run to let the children play on the computer while we paint quietly and nicely by ourselves.
But how healthy is that? Is that about unselfishness and fellowshipping and winning the children's hearts or about choosing ease and convenience?
And when would they learn to paint?
We had a ball together that evening, every last one of us who were home helping in that room. I even painted the top border--please don't look too closely!
In the evenings we ladies try to include the younger ones while we make suppers.
Dear Lord, help me not to forget my younger children just because I am tired.
Help me not to spoil them and ignore and neglect them just because I'd rather do other things.


No comments:
Post a Comment