Monday, December 9, 2019

Christmas Angels Watching Over Us!

This year we chose to go to the mountains for a Christmas tree on Thursday instead of on Saturday, to try to avoid the hundreds of people that were up there last year on Saturday.
It was a good choice!
Jonathan had purchased permits for two trees, one for a Christmas tree, and one for a long tree for a project. The tree may be no more than six inches across. 
Sunrise that morning.
Starting off on the search for the best tree possible.
I love the hiking through the mountain woods and the family time that is so fun. 
In a world of stress and work and struggle, taking time for family fun pays rich dividends.
Decorating the axe handle!
 Each one has a different idea about what kind of tree, and we fan out all over the place, but after a while (we couldn't possibly cut down the first tree we find because that would ruin most of the fun)
we settle on a tree. Jonathan wants a big, tall one, I wanted a smaller one. Rose wanted a "fluffier" one. We ended up with a tree we just loved, plus a tall one whose purpose I am not allowed to know. 
It's a Christmas surprise!
 The trees were loaded on top of the truck.
On the way down the mountain as we were rounding a hairpin curve where there were no guard rails,
the truck lost traction. We could feel it fishtailing and sliding closer and closer to the edge.
I was so scared I was just groaning, "Jesus! Jesus!" and somehow, the truck stopped, just in time,
as if an angel stopped it.
 As if that were not enough, a minute or two later, heading around another hairpin curve, we met another vehicle headon! I don't know how we managed to pass by each other without crashing or scraping, but again, it seemed an angel helped us by, and we went on without incident. I was almost in tears of gratitude to the Lord.  
It was a blessing to once again return home safely.
 The children decorated the tree so nicely. 
They also helped me clean up the mess in the livingroom later!
We had to reorganize in order to put the tree in front of the livingroom window.

 The wreath above our piano.
The Thanksgiving wheel turned into a Christmas one!
This is still one of my favorite decorations, made by Timmy from pallet slats, and I painted the lettering on.
Under the living room lamp

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...