I suppose you think I'm talking about the "A-men and A-woman" prayer from a few days ago, but I'm not. Instead, I'm talking about the sudden call to prayer when suddenly news began to filter into Congress that the Capitol had been "breached." As uncertainty reigned, one Congressman hollered across to another that maybe now the other was glad the police had not been defunded!
As more uncertainty stopped all government proceedings, the chaplain called out, "Let's pray," and offered prayer as
Congressmen and women, staff, and journalists wondered what was
happening and where to flee for safety.
Two insiders of the event and eye witnesses said two of them held hands and prayed.
I find this interesting.
I find this interesting.
(And thanks to my sister's family who sent the pictures above way back around July 4th. )
Regardless how disconcerting and alarming the whole scenario was yesterday,
regardless how we feel about the rightness or wrongness of the storming of the Capitol,
one thing it accomplished was that at least some of our Congress prayed!
They were also, I hope, thankful for the police whom many of them had tried desperately to defund.
Our prayers can tend to become boring when life goes well.
Sorry this picture below is sideways, but it is a page of fresh mealtime graces that I cut out of various Taste of Home magazines through the years.

Recently
I glued some of those prayers onto this stiff paper, and stuck it on
the fridge with magnets, for us to sometimes choose one and pray it, for
the simple fact that I get bored with some of our mealtime prayers. We
need help with having fresh and meaningful mealtime prayers. Even if we
have to read them, that is better than the same old same old,
"Dear Father, Thank you for the food. Help Daddy and Sam at work. Help them come home safely. In Jesus' name amen."
Yeah,
after a while, hearing this over and over gets old. About as old as the
mouse nest I found in Carrie's shoe several days after they came home
from hunting.
Fresh prayers.
Meaningful prayers.
Desperate prayers.
Congress, and we all, discovered that we need these kinds of prayers
again in our country.

No comments:
Post a Comment