It's not every day that you find your dog pillowing her head on God's holy Word!
It's a poor, worn out Bible with pages falling out, but it is a Word that will endure forever.
It can be trusted completely when our adult son can make the statement time and again about people and the media,
"You can't believe anything!"
That is how the media leaves you feeling, so you better not rely on the media.
But today I heard a 90-second encouragement from a conservative man who is in Washington, D.C. right now, to simply pray, read quietly verses of promise from the Bible, and to be at peace.
He wasn't telling us all to weep and wail and fast and pray and carry on and give up and worry ourselves to death.
Just pray and be at peace in the Lord.
I liked that better than any other call to prayer that I have read recently.
I've been trying to pray extra each day, sometimes several times a day for a moment or more, and trying not to feel guilty when I can't do the fasting that has been recommended.
I eat lightly and skip any desserts or chips, but I fall apart if I don't eat.
So I have to trust that God will still hear my prayer even if I can't combine fasting with it while I still have to teach school and do my work.
But mostly, there has been a sense of peace--not that the world gives.
The pieces of news I hear and read give me alarm, but Jesus gives peace.
He was faithful in 2020, amidst the Covid pandemic, amidst the mask mandates, amidst the contested election, amidst the riots, amidst the forest fires and hurricanes.
Jesus was faithful.
His unchanging Word is our Pillow, our Rest in weariness, our strength in weakness, our help in helplessness, our rope to which we can cling in our pit of despair.
Yes, the best pillow of peace is God's Word with His eternal promises.
"I will never leave you nor forsake you."
"I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."
"When you pass through the rivers, they shall not overflow you."
"I will guide you and teach you in the way you should go."
"When my mother and my father forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me."

n
No comments:
Post a Comment