Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Terrible Wind Devastates Areas of Colorado Springs

Jonathan called me today and said we don't need to go to Kentucky to help clean up after a tornado. We have our own!
 
Jonathan said the interstate was shut down because of semi trucks blown over.
Here is one Danny and I saw when we were taking chain saws in for Jonathan.
 
 (Danny counted 10 blown over within a few miles later in the day.) 
Trees were down all over the place. 

Jonathan said it looked like a war zone when had to go check out a downed tree at a cottage his crew had worked on.
 
 It had fallen on the electric wire, but the electricity was off, so Jonathan and Danny and later Sam got that tree cut  down and taken care of. 

 Some of the roofing felt from the roof Jonathan's guys had been working on got tangled in the transformer.  
Meanwhile I had taken chain saws to town for Jonathan, 

 and met him at Lowes parking lot which looked like this, with metal sheds completely demolished.
 I had also taken food for supper at his dad's, but hadn't been able to reach him by phone. And I arrived at his drive only to discover that Dad Lucas's house was dark as midnight. "He must be gone," I thought, until I looked around and realized the other houses were dark, too! Dad L. came cautiously to the door, wondering who I was! There was no electricity to bake the supper I'd taken in, and neither could Grandpa drive anywhere because the garage door opener wouldn't work, and he can't open the garage by himself anymore. His fences were blown down, his decorative windmill was blown over, and dead branches and twigs were down. 

(This is just a picture of another tree down on the street where Jonathan was.)
So I took Dad L. a few blocks away to Esther's house (his daughter), nearly running into a huge fir tree just around the corner from Daddy's house. It was nearly all the way across the road. Thankfully I was able to go up on the sidewalk and get around it, but then a few blocks later, in the pitch dark, suddenly there was a person just sitting on his motor bike on the side of the road. Especially after hearing about the break-in on Jonathan's job site down south of town last night, where the person(s) scraped up the brand new vinyl flooring trying to drag the new fridge out and not being able to get it out any door, I was so unnerved that poor Dad L. probably wished he were driving as he kept telling me which way to go. There were seven turns between his place and Esther's not far away. The electricity was off at her house, too, and Daddy L.  heard it would not be on till morning. Jonathan saw the huge poles broken like matchsticks further away, which held the wires for all that section of town.
Jonathan's brother Rob had a huge ponderosa snap into three at his place, part of which landed on the neighbor's roof. Jonathan was going to go over to help but the neighbor was scared of just anyone doing it, and wanted professionals to come. So okay, that's less for Jonathan to deal with.
Our friends in Black Forest had a tree blow over. They said in town and at construction sites, portajohns were blown over everywhere. Walls they were trying to put up today blew down. A piece of metal roofing blew into one man's windshield and he got cut from the glass.
Winds of 107 mph were registered near Monument.
So many accidents, besides. On their way home, Jonathan and Danny saw jaws of life trying to rescue a driver from a bad accident on a rural road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...