Monday, February 26, 2024

Wedding of my Niece Susanna

Saturday was the long-awaited wedding day of my niece Susanna Bradford to Daniel Hunter.
We had been looking forward to this event for months, especially since I would  also get to finally see my mother again for the first time in fourteen months. I haven't seen her since my dad's memorial service.
Several charming little boys welcomed us.
We knew the wedding would be beautiful and it was-- 
characterized by beautiful flowers, for Susanna is a florist, and by beautiful music. Susanna chose some of the best musicians among the family and friends, while the rest of us had the thrill of watching and listening. My sister Kezia's harp music was just lovely, as was she. 
Other musicians were Bethany Morley (pianist) and her sister Andrea on the violin, as well as Susanna's mother Joella, who played the violin for the seating of the grandmother, my mom, and the groom's mother. I loved this special moment when the groom stood waiting at the edge of the platform while the mother of the bride finished the violin song.
I wondered how it felt to be mother of the bride in those moments, such a fine, handsome, Christian young man escorting her to her seat, the mom about to give away her first daughter in marriage. 
But I guess I will get to feel those feelings in just a few months, Lord willing!
 
There are just moments that are extra special, that's all. 
"How does it feel to be about to lose your daughter?" Jonathan asked Susanna's father Craig before the wedding. "Knowing that he is a settled Christian helps," Craig said, with the warmth of confidence. 
There were six groomsmen and three junior grooms, as well as six bridesmaids and two junior brides plus a flower girl, using nearly everyone in the immediate families plus friends!

My brother Elon and Daniel's father officiated, with Elon having the wedding message and Rev. Hunter guiding the vows, praying, and announcing the new couple.
Lighting of the candles.
I especially loved the sacred time of prayer--three prayers--of both fathers and Elon.
The kiss
My niece Bethany played beautiful postlude arrangements. 
Here are a few photos afterward. It's so hard to believe that the little baby sister my family and I welcomed home from the hospital 47 years ago in Custer, South Dakota, was on this day the mother of the bride. 
Susanna's family 
I feel bad that the picture I took of the Hunter clan turned out blurry so I cannot post it.

 The grandmother, my mom. My sister-in-love Regina sewed the dress and jacket for her especially for this event.
The wedding party

2 comments:

  1. Lovely in every way! The bridal gown is especially beautiful because it's modest, a rarity today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I appreciated the modesty, coupled with beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...