Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Palm Sunday--Corrie ten Boom and the Donkey

As I wrote in my last post, music is a joy and passion that I delight in when I must deny myself so many other indulgences.
Last Sunday, Palm Sunday, was full of music, and I felt so happy to be part of some of it. 
I love the hymns, both old and new, that are sung at Lakota Chapel.
Palm Sunday our family sang "The Lamb of God," a contemporary hymn, with my autoharp. 
It was a very cold, snowy-road Sunday, and we didn't know if anyone would even show up to church, but a few did, including the parents of a military man who is training troops in an undisclosed location overseas, including troops from the country of our beloved mission field when we were first married. It was a joy to get to know them during the fellowship meal after service.
For the last three weeks, different people have come each Sunday--and we love it! We never know who will be there, or who will be missing that is regularly there that we can take a meal to. Pastor Ambrose and his wife, frail as they are, whether with broken ribs, a black eye from a fall, or concerning recent health issues, keep the church door open and the sanctuary decorated.
For the fellowship dinner in the basement, we took along a crock pot of cabbage rolls I had made Saturday. 
Jonathan found huge cabbage heads for 39 cents a pound in Winner last week, so I got inspired to make cabbage rolls for a change for Sunday. As you can see, this head was so big, it nearly filled my big pot! I made two baking dishes of cabbage rolls. They were soo good!

Palm Sunday evening, a beautiful sight met our eyes as we climbed the steps to Hope Family Chapel in Mission where Jonathan was supposed to lead the service in the absence of Keith Lavery (gone to Rincon Marquez to an All Tribes board meeting). 
Tasbah had decorated with a bunch of palmettos and palms and candles for this special day.
At the end of each row of chairs was a candle and palmetto with a name of Christ.  
I have never been so enamored with the way a church was decorated for Palm Sunday.
Kim Lavery, Keith's sister, played a couple beautiful Palm Sunday arrangements and our family sang "Lamb of God" again for this service, since there was no preacher! I had a Palm Sunday quiz, and Jonathan shared a couple devotional thoughts. 

Jonathan told about Corrie ten Boom and the donkey!

He read how Corrie was once asked if it was difficult for her to remain humble after she became famous and had many media appearances and book signings. Her reply was simple: “When Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday on the back of a donkey, and everyone was waving palm branches and throwing garments onto the road, and singing praises, do you think that for one moment it ever entered the head of that donkey that any of that was for him?”

She continued, “If I can be the donkey on which Jesus Christ rides in His glory, I give Him all the praise and all the honor.”

This devotional thought was the highlight of Palm Sunday for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...