Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Big Sixty--and the Big Mistake

Saturday evening there was a birthday party for Judy Sherman, fellow missionary under SIM, who is turning the big 60.
 
Jonathan and I decided to go a few hours early to Winner to take the last piece of countertop which had accidentally been left up in Pierre when the other parts of the order had been picked up. 
We wanted "to kill two birds with one stone," as the proverb goes, so Jonathan decided to put in the rest of the counter top for the Sherman family in Winner in mid afternoon before the party. 
There was just one problem. 
Jonathan made a mistake. He cut the hole too big for the sink! 
He doesn't usually make mistakes like that. He is very careful and skilled with measurements. I don't know how that happened...
Had I been the one doing the work, I would have died.  
Or nearly died.
I would have panicked and beaten myself up and said and done dramatic things. 
Fortunately Jonathan isn't like that.
That's why he was asked to be the maintenance director instead of me for SIM.  :) :)
Jonathan figured out that the sink had a good lip all the way around, and if he positioned it just right on the hole, there would only be a tiny sliver of space between the sink and the counter in the back. The front and sides would be fine.  
"Someone I know," Jonathan said, "used to say, "It just takes a little putty and paint to make something what it ain't!" 
By the time Jonathan left, the mistake was all fixed up nicely and the Shermans have their new counter. 
No panic
or dramatics
or anyone beating anyone up, not even oneself.
Because a little stretching and caulk and careful positioning turned the big mistake into something not so terrible after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...