Our family used to call it "corn pudding," what others might call scalloped corn.
It was our go-to vegetable dish, along with meatloaf and baked potatoes
when we had company or special meals in our home growing up. I hadn't made it in years, but recently, having missed having corn for a while, I wanted to make it.
I even called my older sister Dorcas to ask about the recipe. I call Dorcas often about all sorts of things. She has a great memory of our childhood, and never seems to mind me calling at any hour of the day, whether it's about recipes or current events in our family!
I don't know why I'm a little nostalgic lately. Maybe from writing another book from when I was in my young twenties. But also my mom seems a little blue lately, and I've been thinking of her. And not to say I haven't felt a little blue, too.
Here above is my mom with her two sisters way back about 26 years ago at my sister Iva's wedding. Mom's sister on the right is struggling with dementia right now. We are so grateful that in her older years, she began to draw close to God. I talked to my Aunt Rhonwen just weeks ago, the lovely lady on the left.
She sent me a disk of pictures of my mom's childhood and youth--a real treasure.
For my mom's birthday back in January, I uploaded some of those pictures to my computer and sent several at a time to her and family on email.
Now my mom is watching her great grandchildren growing up.
My mother-in-law only got to see one great grandchild. She is gone now, but not from our memories. I pulled down our box of cornflakes yesterday to crush and roll chicken thighs in. I called Hannah down to roll the chicken in the crumbs, reminding her that this is how Grandma Lucas used to make chicken--for Sunday dinner. It was my all-time favorite chicken.
"Precious Memories" is a song Emily Lavery played on the piano during memory service a few weeks ago. I was struggling with having a whole service dedicated to remembering those in our lives who have passed on. But I don't mind the memories coming up on a day to day basis--memories that are helpful and precious,
legacies of godliness.
How my mom homeschooled--and I am soon to finish homeschooling my last daughter. (In the picture above, I'm grading Home Ec units while wearing a sort of shawl that my sister Dorcas knitted for me.
Knitting--something my mother taught Dorcas and me, and then years later taught my older daughters who in turn taught Hannah--a skill among many others that is useful and a blessing.
Precious memories, how they linger--everything from chicken rolled in cornflake crumbs
to corn pudding, from knitting to home schooling.
No comments:
Post a Comment