Tuesday, June 4, 2024

All Because of Rose's Wedding Meatballs!

Today was such a happy day for me because God dropped an outreach opportunity right into my lap--all because of Rose's and Tommy's wedding meatballs!

 I was getting ready to mix up two huge bowls of meatballs for the last of the wedding/Father's Day meatballs, (events coming up next weekend) and I realized how overwhelmed I felt. It was such a big job. Last week I had invited two Lakota friends to help me form meatballs, and we'd had such a good time working together and then having lunch together. But who could help me this time? I totally forgot that Crystal was around, because she was gone to work.
And that is when the phone rang. I saw the name, "Mathel Ambrose." Our pastor's wife.
Oh, dear, I thought. We usually end up chatting a while, and I had so much to do.  I almost let the call go, but I picked up the phone.
Mathel had talked to me Sunday about trying to reach out to two young girls who attend our church with their grandfather, who is not expected to live much longer. He "is their stability," Mathel said. She had told me she was going to pick up the girls from 45 minutes away Tuesday and bring them to help her work in the church and parsonage flowerbeds. 

"But it's too windy," Mathel said. I understood. I had been out in that wind some in the morning. "So I'm going to have them help me vacuum and dust the church." She sounded disappointed.
Just like that, it dawned on me that this is who could help me form meatballs! "Oh, you could bring them down here!" I exclaimed. "I was just getting ready to make meatballs and didn't know how I was going to form them all. Bring them down here! I have leftover lasagna and salad from last night, and you can all stay for lunch. Your husband can come, too!"

Mathel sounded tickled. They finished cleaning the basement and then she called that they were on their way. I served lunch first since it was already nearly one o'clock. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose exclaimed about how good something smelled as soon as they entered the house door. That leftover lasagna warming in the oven smelled delightful! We had leftover salad, too, with buttered carrots, leftover berry pie or pumpkin cake.
Then we got busy. While Crystal did dishes, the girls and Mathel formed meatballs and I mixed the final batch of meat.  Mathel is such a grandma in the community, and I appreciate her caring about everyone around. Because of her and Harold, we are able to start forming friendships.
 Sunday the girls' grandpa, who was struggling to breathe but still came to church, wanted to give Danny one of his best Bowie hunting knives after the meal! 
 The blade was so shiny that you could see your reflection in it! That was an incredible moment!  
While the meatballs were baking, we all went outside to admire the garden and introduce the girls to our goats.
 The girls had never gathered eggs before, so I had them help gather the eggs.
 
Once back inside, I had them put the eggs in cartons. 
They seemed to enjoy that. 

God willing, this won't be the last time we have these precious girls over.
 
 It was such a happy day for me because of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...