Wednesday, March 5, 2025

When Eggs Are Gold

Eggs was the one grocery commodity that President Trump mentioned in his State of the Union address Tuesday night. That was the night Jonathan suddenly remembered Trump would be addressing Congress and pulled up the live address--just in time to see Rep. Green brandishing his cane and shouting at the President! We watched as Speaker of the House struck the table with the gavel and gave a warning and then called the sergeant-at-arms to conduct the disorderly member of Congress out of the room. We gathered around and watched the rest of the address--grateful for both the Vice-President and Speaker of the House solidly backing the President from behind him, as well as the side of the Congress that backed him for such things as putting a stop to fraudulent and wasteful government spending, banning trans men in women's sports, and deciding that under his administration there will only be two genders--fancy having to be courageous enough to say that!
 
 One would think eggs are worth their weight in gold!
At the birthday party Crystal and I hosted yesterday afternoon for our pastor's wife, Mrs. Ambrose, one lady told me that eggs were $9 a dozen around here! We can be thankful we have our own chickens. Even the guineas are starting to lay--see the smallest, more pointed egg below.
So when I was thinking of party favors for the attendees, I decided to simply give each lady a choice of something home-raised--eggs or honey.

I purchased some 3-for-a-dollar cartons and packed four different colors of eggs in each one with a decorative rosette in the middle. The ladies loved them! After all, that was $3 worth of eggs right there. 
I took out to our chicken coop a girl who came to the party and let her gather the eggs from the nesting boxes. 
About ten ladies attended the party, and what an enjoyable time we had, reminiscing about favorite birthday memories. My memory was about how we sisters used to almost always sew each other new aprons and pot holders for our birthdays, and Crystal told about how Grandma Morley used to sew a new pair of pajamas for each of her 50 plus grandchildren's birthdays!
I had found strawberries and blueberries on a good sale at Murdo grocery store on my way home from a lymphatic treatment, and I made a fruit plate with them with an idea I got from Pinterest for the mandarin flower in the center. 
Just another golden delight in the middle of a South Dakota winter!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...