Thursday, November 13, 2025

Baby Cheer--in Case You Need a Lift!

It's about time for some baby cheer after way too many funerals lately! 
Rose and Tom are so good to keep us updated with baby photos. To pine because we don't get to watch our first grandbaby grow up in person is a place I try to just not go. 
So this grandma, whose hair is growing back the second time faster than baby Ellie's is the first time, watches eagerly for any new pictures of her. 
Rose even let Ellie "talk" to me on the phone one day.
And if this one isn't just the charmingest! (Who cares if that is not the proper English superlative?)
Unless this one is charminger. 
Rose and baby were along for a few days on a job Tom did. 
All this about babies and young people reminds me of when Jonathan and I came through Custer, SD, last week where we passed this sawmill. I was sure this old sawmill was the one there 50 years ago when our family lived in Custer. I remember going to talk to the sawmill manager about ordering a load of slab wood for the barrel heater we heated our home with. And my sister Dorcas, when I shared the photo and memory, remembers sitting in the vehicle there with her feet freezing. My feet froze all the time, it seems. I lived with chilblains in the winters growing up. But that is not my topic today.
That home in Custer was at the top of this lane called Bear Rock Road. We stopped to take a picture because Bear Rock is a historic site now. There used to be a pioneer locating station for mining claims in a small cabin in front of this rock back in 1876, exactly 100 years before I lived up this lane. I had to take a picture of the Historic Site plaque. Lots of happy memories there in Custer actually, back when we children had lots of playtime outdoors. We would go "exploring" often up in the piney woods and rocks behind our place, sledding in the winter and gathering pine cones to help start fires in our barrel heater.
But enough reminiscing...We're in the now, with a grandbaby in Colorado who keeps my heart cheered when I have a hard time keeping cheered. 
Can hardly wait to see her in a couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...