Tuesday, November 4, 2025

In Two States at Once--the Blessings of Two-ness

Two weeks ago on our way home from Missouri, after spending the night in Council Bluffs, we decided to head off in time to take in a walk on the Pedestrian bridge across the Missouri, a bridge that connects Council Bluffs, Iowa, with Omaha, Nebraska. 
It was a very blustery morning, but we walked halfway across until we could stand, if we wanted, in both states at once!
Jonathan is standing in Nebraska, holding hands with me in Iowa!
Is it only in spots like that in which a person can stand in two states at once? 
I think how God made couples often so perfect for each other--so that when one of them is in a state of medical need or being down in the dumps, the other can help lift them up or pull them across into a better state.
For years, Jonathan has helped and supported me through my cancer battle, but last week he was hit rather suddenly with an acute case of prepatellar bursitis in his knee from spending hours on his knees working under the SIM church in Winner.
He was in so much pain that he could barely hobble around. I was pushing our wheeled office chair into the kitchen to help him get around, and helping him with his socks and shoes and happy to do so.
"You took care of me for years with my cancer journey," I told him. "Now it's my turn to help you."
I loved the pair of pigeons on that bridge as much as anything that day!
It reminds me of what the wise man in Ecclesiastes wrote. I read it the other day as I am slogging slowly but surely through Ecclesiastes. 
"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion, but woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.
"Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone? Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken."
While living as a married couple or belonging to a team holds its challenges and difficulties, there is tremendous blessing in not being alone.
When one falls, we can lift each other up.
When one is cold (as I usually am), we can warm each other.
When one is distraught, we can comfort each other.
And when we rejoice, we can celebrate together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...