Monday, January 5, 2026

Hens and Borsch and Family Love

 Danny and Hannah spent a few days back in Colorado over New Years Day since a couple cousins were traveling there (my nephew Reggie, Iva's middle son, is dating Tom's sister) and Tim was hosting almost all his siblings plus the cousins and a few friends over the holiday. 

The guys helped our Tim put up a new ceiling with beams Tim had milled himself. And the girls helped repaint kitchen cabinets he'd torn down from the walls to remodel the kitchen. They were busy and happy, including a hike and playing lots of games, including disc golf at Ranch Haven around the remodel project.
At home Jonathan and I managed the chores. I was glad the children got to go--they needed the time with siblings, cousins, friends. It can get lonely up here. But who gets lonely with dozens of hens and two goats that think they are part of the family?
I made a second batch of borsch to send down with Danny and Hannah, after Hannah had made the first batch a few days earlier. I know my children like borsch if the weather is cold! It's a good, healthy food that is practically a treat. We enjoy garlic toast with it. And I had time that day to make it, so I did. 
And memories of Christmas still linger. Danny and Rose had my name for gift exchange, and Danny gave me two lovely books of stamps--a much appreciated gift that I will use for months to come! Rose gave me this beautiful Songbirds of Faith calendar, with a handmade patchwork potholder, bluebird dishtowel, and spatula. The colors of the potholder reminded me of Mama Lucas. Her favorite color was lavendar. 
Rose also gave me this homemade clothespin apron complete with a hummingbird applique she cut out and sewed on herself. I LOVE homemade gifts!!

I ran across this little statement recently that I copied to put in my blog sometime, and I guess this is a good time. 
"Eventually the world will forget you even existed. So live to please the Lord. He'll never forget."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...