"I'm glad the Christmas tree is still up," an old rancher exclaimed Sunday morning as he sat waiting for service to begin.
I was glad, too. Somehow the tree this year had offered extra cheer with its bright red bow for a treetop, the shiny beads looped around it, and the red and gold ornaments.
I haven't even taken our own tree down yet. I'm often up late at night now, unable to sleep, and coming out to a soft glow of multi-colored Christmas tree lights is comforting and cozy. I am waiting to take the tree down till after my sister Dorcas arrives with her son Peter from Virginia Thursday night. Maybe I will have her help me take it down while we visit.
I don't always have a theme for our tree, though a couple years ago it was "Names of Jesus," with about 30 round white painted wooden ornaments with names of our Savior.
This year, Crystal kept the decorations simple, with mostly ornaments bearing the words "Hope," "Joy," "Love," or "Peace"--timeless concepts that don't drop with the needles or need put away with ornaments.
Our children don't care for tinsel; they just like to see the evergreen tree as it is with an array of lights and ornaments. And I am fine with that. Simplicity is best--like the trees decorated with frost last week when Jonathan and I went to Rapid City for our visit with the radiologist.
But next year, I am already planning the tree theme. I want it to be an "Under His Wings" Christmas tree. As I went to Walmart to check their 75% off Christmas decor, I found myself wandering around, unsure whether to bother spending any money.
What if I am not here next Christmas?
What if "Under His Wings" is not a very appropriate Christmas tree theme?
But then, What if I am here next Christmas? And what if my "Under His Wings" theme takes off and goes viral with a million zillion views and everyone raving and Hobby Lobby hiring someone in China to create a whole new line of Christmas ornaments of birds and phrases from "Under His Wings" to take the place of Candyland and gingerbread men and Mr. Green, the Grinch, and Pink Christmas?
As Rose told me a year and a half ago, "You're not near dead yet!"
No, I'm not. I'm still not near dead yet. Sooo--
Therefore, along with a new wreath at 75% off, I picked up four birds-in-nests ornaments and a stand-alone cardinal with holly. Walmart didn't offer much more than that for birds, but at least those. Even online bird ornaments were few, and what is there is outrageously expensive!
So I make my own out of Christmas cards and calendars. We'll see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment