Friday, January 9, 2026

My Dear Sister Dorcas Here!

My dear older sister Dorcas flew here to South Dakota from Virginia with her son Peter yesterday, arriving very early this morning glad for beds! 
Dorcas wanted to come be with me since I've been experiencing pain and would be dealing with all the after-effects of a new regimen of chemo. 
It is wonderful to be together again. She brings peace and love with her! I was so grateful to be feeling as well as I did today, although it is likely partly due to the steroid they gave me before the chemo infusions. I was at the hospital all morning two days ago, getting one infusion after another--two for nausea, one for bringing down side effects, and finally the actual chemo. 
I dozed off in the middle of the infusions, having not slept well the night before, and having to get up early to travel there. 
Once I woke up suddenly, as if I was catching my breath. I think I stopped breathing for a moment, maybe my heart stopped. I don't know. Herceptin affects my heart, and the chemo I am on now is basically herceptin with a special chemo attached to make it more effective. I just know the sleep apnea also is kicking up again, leaving me stopping breathing and snoring, and I made an appointment in Sioux Falls for another Night Lase treatment. 
Dorcas takes pictures of everything as she gets acquainted with our place and our routine--such as me setting off across the footbridge to the barn to feed our garbage to the chickens for their daily snack of egg shells, bits of leftovers, and apple skins. 
She also took this picture of me out trying to hang a birdfeeder in the tree near the corner of our house.
In return, I got a picture of her helping assemble chicken fajitas for lunch. 
Meanwhile, I decided to open this cute, homemade potpouri mix sent back from Missouri with Crystal when Crystal drove Amish a week ago to Missouri. She spent a couple days with cousins and aunts and uncles and Grandma Morley (my mom). And my sister-in-law Regina sent this beautiful gift home with her. 
You are supposed to place the dried fruits and spices in water to warm on the stove and the scent is wonderful! It's slices of orange, lemon, apples, cranberries, cloves, and sticks of cinnamon with a couple greens, maybe cedar? Loving sisters-in-law are right up there on a level with sisters!
Dorcas got this snap of most of us around the table at noon. Crystal was at work. 
This afternoon Dorcas sliced or diced a whole big bag of apples for future pies--two tomorrow hopefully. 
And then for supper, since the rest of the family and Peter attended the fireman's annual banquet in Mission, where Danny is attending Firefighting I and II courses, just Dorcas and I were together for supper. 
We decided to play Scrabble while we ate our chicken soup and applesauce. That was so fun!
Here is what we came up with!
Then we drove around up the hill to see the views from the properties that are now up for sale near us. There are such beautiful views of Little White River up there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...