Thursday, September 17, 2026

Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread--But Please Don't Let the Dog Eat It First!

"Do you have to forgive dogs?" Danny wanted to know as our family sat around the lunch table today. For a moment, we wondered about this strange question, and then I remembered.

Earlier this week, a dog had gotten into Danny's lunch bucket and eaten his sandwich, and then another day another dog did the same thing! 
"Sandwiches are the highlight of my day!" Danny said as we cleaned up after supper, expecting to make another sandwich or two for him for the next day. 
"I'm glad to hear that!" I said as I thought back on all the daily sandwiches we make for him, usually out of homemade sandwich buns or sourdough bread though sometimes from marked down bought breads.
"One of the guys was complaining that he got tired of sandwiches," Danny added. It's not so with Danny. 
Of course, every day the sandwich might be a bit different. The bread type may vary, the meat may be anything from home processed venison roast to ham slices to thinly sliced smoked turkey sandwich meat. Then the cheese can be anything from pepper jack to cheddar to homemade goat cheese. He likes lettuce on that, and with cucumbers in season, I use slices of that. 
And always, tired or not, I make the sandwiches with love--the secret ingredient to the best food. 
Perhaps sandwiches made out of gooey white bread with bologna and American cheese and without the love of a wife or mother really do get tiresome.  

A couple days after the first sandwich loss episode, upon arriving at the mission barn before work, Danny had set his lunch bucket near the work truck since the truck was locked, knowing then he'd see it and not forget to put it in the truck to take to work. 
Bad idea.
 Another dog found the lunch bucket while Danny was busy with the guys. It ate both the boiled eggs Danny had taken for breakfast, as well as both sandwiches, Danny lamented on the family chat! Various sad and pitying emojis appeared on the chat before Danny later discovered one of his sandwiches in a bucket of tools. It must have fallen out of his lunchbox somehow during the drive to Mission, and Danny had assumed the dog had eaten both.
It appeared instead that God had taken pity on a young man who both liked and needed his lunch and had amazingly provided for the rescuing of at least one sandwich so Danny did not have to go hungry on a busy day of work. 
"Give us this day our daily bread," I thought to myself, "but please don't let the dog eat it first!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...