Monday, September 7, 2026

Stars Vs. Chicks

I wrote the poem below a few days ago after reading articles related to the death of Dolly Parton who had written hundreds of country songs that were incredibly popular in the world. The way she held sway over so many people through verse and music was astounding. She said she always wanted to be a star, and she pursued that goal and quickly became just that. 

I had to turn to my Bible because I was seeing someone who was idolized and loved and beloved by many, someone who was having an absolute blast doing what she was doing, 

and I was wishing we Christians could come up with some things that would have a big influence and that we could have an absolute blast doing what we do--only completely opposite ways. 

And yet, the Bible teaches that the world will love its own while hating those who reject the world for Christ. I was reading articles or posts even (astonishingly) by more than one friend of mine who were holding Dolly in high admiration, but the more I looked up about her and checked out some of her most popular quotes and watched clips of her in person, the more appalled I was that she was anyone Christian people would look up to. What I was seeing was full of off-color song and jokes if not full-blown sinful sensuality. The glamor, glitz, and ridiculousness (in her own words) of this "queen of country music," the sensuality, the sinful attire more like a prostitute than a Christian, and off-color words and music and behavior are neither to be admired nor emulated by those of us who follow God. 

One thing I read was that people loved Dolly, because she spoke with "no filter." She would just say the most ridiculous, uncanny, unexpected, hilarious, or silly thing that would pop into her mind and just knock people over with it, with no apology. 

 I'm not writing off all humor or even occasional funny blurts. 

But what does the Bible say about just blurting out whatever stupid or off color thing pops into one's mind? God's Word teaches us to think before we speak, and to speak wisely and purely, not foolishly and stupidly and immaturely--and certainly not with impure inuendos.

Proverbs tells us that words "fitly spoken" are like apples of gold in pictures of silver. 

We will give an account for even every idle word we speak.

 It doesn't matter if we live in the city or country, in the east or the west, our words, deeds, and attitudes ought to bring glory to God and not glory to ourselves. 
So I turned to the Bible, and I ended up in the book of Matthew where Jesus was lamenting over Jerusalem, saying how often He had wished to gather them, as a mother hen gathers her chicks under her wings--and they would not.  
I sat there, reading and pondering that.
Dolly Parton aspired to be a star--and she became one.
What if I aspired to be a chick--one of God's obedient chicks?
It's not as glamorous as a star, but--it's more acceptable to God. 
City Girls and Country Hen

Out among my feathered flock

I gaze with quiet eye,

How do the city folk relate

To country terms gone by?

How can they understand the words

Christ spoke in country lore,

How like a hen He'd gather them

If they'd only allow Him more?

Here on our turf of field and trees

The friendly hens peck grain,

Clucking with constant vigilance

To new-hatched chicks again.

 Wee balls of softest feathered fluff

Zip 'round the twigs and weeds,

While watchful mother eyes look out

For hawks and peck for seeds. 

And when some danger brings alarm,
Her brood the mother calls.
They whisk beneath her feathered wings,
In silent safety fall.

Not all may be a country girl,
But all this picture find--
A God Who like a country hen
Calls all His chicks to mind. 
Lord, whether country girl or not,
I pray I hear Your cluck, 
And run to the safety of Your wing
Where You forever tuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...