This year our 32nd anniversary fell on the day between my trip to Rapid City for a PET scan and a second trip to Rapid City two days later for more chemo.
(Even though my PET came back 100% clear of cancer, the oncologist says it is because of the medicine and I must stay on it.)
We spent our anniversary at home eating green beans from our garden--a real treat, in case you were wondering.
So no one needs to feel a bit sorry for us.
However, Jonathan's dad and another lady from several states away gave us an anniversary gift of money, and with more dreaded procedures coming up for Jonathan in Sioux Falls, I came up with the idea of heading to Sioux Falls the evening ahead of time and finding a cute Bed & Breakfast on the way to belatedly celebrate our anniversary. Jonathan was quite agreeable to this and found one of the least expensive ones that was right on our way (we chose to go the back way from Winner where we stopped to meet Tim and Liz Wiford who were there for IHC service, and where we also got to meet Barry and Monica [Webb] Whitaker. Monica told me her family long years ago had enjoyed dinner with my family after I'd left home. So she knew my Morley family.)
Anyway, we enjoyed traveling through South Dakota countryside while it was still daylight and arrived to Molly's Manor Bed & Breakfast in Platte, South Dakota, which was right on our road to Sioux Falls.
The most interesting lady met us, having grown up in Platte area but then spending 25 years of her life in Denver before moving back and purchasing this house that was well over 100 years old and renovating it into a delightful Bed and Breakfast.
Years ago, the house had been the home of a doctor and his large family, and the lady thinks he must have met patients in this room that is now a sunroom/alcove. Now it houses a vintage hutch that belonged to her grandmother from Czechoslovakia long years ago.
I'm quite sure these salt and pepper shakers were from Slovakia.
This treadle sewing machine also belonged to her grandmother, who used to sew for many people to supplement their meager income as small farmers. Both grandparents had immigrated from Communist Czechoslovakia at that time, preferring the hardships and second language in western America, with freedom, to staying in familiar territory.
I love hearing stories like these. After our hostess retired for the evening, leaving us to stroll about ourselves, we sat for a while on the quiet porch on the sky blue sofa that reminded me of Florida, with the scent of irrigated air coming to us. I wrote in my journal while Jonathan tried to help Danny figure out vehicle problems over the phone.
Indoors, just outside our bedroom door, hung this cross-stitched pheasant inside a South Dakota-shaped mat.
I enjoyed the star theme in another room.
And this plaque: "I wish I were a kid so I could take a long nap and everybody would just be proud of me."
And this unique coat rack--with hooks screwed through vintage books such as one for Boy Scouts. I wondered if my dad used this book 80 years ago when he joined the Boy Scouts.
More in another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment